Statistical test for spherical uniformity?

In summary, the author is looking for a way to uniformly distribute objects in 3-space. He assumes that the objects are uniformly distributed spherically and then looks for a way to test the assumption. If the assumption is valid, then he can use a chi-squared test to look at the variation in the number of objects per cell.
belliott4488
I have a large sample of vectors in 3-space, and I would like to how uniformly they are distributed. Ultimately I'd like to know how uniform the angular distribution as a function of magnitude. What I mean by that is that if I divide the space into spherical shells, will the vectors whose magnitudes fall into each shell be distributed uniformly throughout the shell?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you provide a little more detail?

Is each shell also divided into discrete subregions? If so, that makes it a discrete problem and you can use the chi-square test: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chi-square_test

If you are looking at it as a continuous uniform distribution, then you cannot use categorical tests such as chi-squared, but may be able to use other tests.

The problem I'm looking at is fairly straight-forward. I have a large number of objects all moving from one point in space with some distribution of velocity vectors. I'd like to track the spatial density of objects over time, and it's easier to do this if I can make the assumption that the objects are uniformly distributed spherically. That way I can just divide my space into spherical shells of uniform thickness and count the number of objects in each shell to get the density at that radius. My simplification amounts to saying that the density will be a function of radial distance, but not of direction.

I'd like to know how valid this assumption is, however. Since I have a discrete set of vectors, then of necessity I would likely divide each shell into cells of equal volume in order to test the assumption. In that case, then I think I'm just asking how much variation there is in the number of objects per cell for a given radius.

In any case, since I posted my original question, I've gotten my hands on a book entitled, "Statistical Analysis of Spherical Data" by N. I. Fisher et. al. Hm. If the answer isn't in there, I'll eat my hat.

Related to Statistical test for spherical uniformity?

1. What is a statistical test for spherical uniformity?

A statistical test for spherical uniformity is used to determine if a set of data is uniformly distributed on a sphere. This type of test is commonly used in astronomy and geography to analyze the spatial distribution of objects or phenomena.

2. Why is it important to test for spherical uniformity?

Testing for spherical uniformity is important because it allows scientists to determine if there is any underlying pattern or trend in the distribution of data on a sphere. This information can provide insights into the processes or factors that may be influencing the distribution.

3. How is a statistical test for spherical uniformity performed?

A statistical test for spherical uniformity is typically performed by comparing the observed distribution of data on a sphere to an expected distribution under the assumption of uniformity. This is done using various statistical tests, such as the Rayleigh test or the Kuiper test.

4. What is the difference between a uniform and non-uniform distribution on a sphere?

A uniform distribution on a sphere means that the data points are evenly spread out and there is no clustering or pattern. A non-uniform distribution, on the other hand, may show clustering or an uneven distribution of data points on the sphere.

5. What are some applications of statistical tests for spherical uniformity?

Statistical tests for spherical uniformity have various applications in different fields, such as astronomy, geography, and molecular biology. For example, in astronomy, these tests can be used to study the distribution of galaxies or stars in the universe. In geography, they can be used to analyze the distribution of natural resources or geographic features. In molecular biology, they can be used to examine the spatial distribution of molecules or proteins within cells.