Statistical Mechanics -- partition function, change to polar coords

In summary, the conversation is discussing the computation of the partition function for a Hamiltonian involving N particles in s dimensions. The solution involves integrating over the momenta of each particle, and there is confusion about the use of polar coordinates and the factors of 2π. Ultimately, the question is whether the definition of the partition function has been correctly applied in the solution.
binbagsss

Homework Statement

Hi I have the following definition for the partition function of ##N## particles in ##s## dimensions:

defi.png

I am looking at computing the partition function for this Hamiltonian:

hammyboy.png

The solution is here:

heresoneimadeearlier.png

Homework Equations

above

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand the top line of this solution? The definition is to integrate over ##\Pi_{i=1}^{i=n} \Pi_{\alpha=1}^{\alpha=2}dP_{i,a}## not ##\Pi_{i=1}^{i=2N} d\vec P_i##

I can change to polar coordinates to get the integration over ##d\vec P_i## (just looking at the integration over ##P## and I have the same result, however in the first line of the solution there are no factors of ##2\pi## from the change of variables to polar coordinates, so how has the definition of the partition function been used? (or is it just by chance I've got the same answer)i.e. ##dP_x dP_y \neq d^2\vec P## does it?:

Physics news on Phys.org
$$Z = \int\Pi_{i=1}^{i=N}\Pi_{\alpha=1}^{\alpha=2}dP_{i,a}e^{-\beta \sum_{i=1}^N \frac{P_i^2}{2m}}$$$$= \int\Pi_{i=1}^{i=2N} d\vec P_i e^{-\beta \sum_{i=1}^N \frac{\vec P_i^2}{2m}}$$

Related to Statistical Mechanics -- partition function, change to polar coords

1. What is the partition function in statistical mechanics?

The partition function in statistical mechanics is a mathematical tool used to calculate the thermodynamic properties of a system. It takes into account the energy levels and degeneracy of the particles in a system and is used to determine the probability of a given state occurring.

2. Why is it useful to change to polar coordinates in statistical mechanics?

Changing to polar coordinates can be useful in statistical mechanics because it simplifies the calculation of the partition function. It allows us to integrate over angles, which can be easier to work with than Cartesian coordinates in certain systems.

3. How do you change to polar coordinates in statistical mechanics?

To change to polar coordinates in statistical mechanics, you must first determine the variables that can be expressed in polar form. Then, you can use the appropriate transformation equations to convert the original coordinates into polar coordinates. This will involve using trigonometric functions such as sine and cosine.

4. What are the advantages of using polar coordinates in statistical mechanics?

One of the main advantages of using polar coordinates in statistical mechanics is that it simplifies the calculation of the partition function. It also allows for easier visualization of certain systems, such as those with spherical symmetry. Additionally, polar coordinates can help to reveal underlying symmetries and patterns in a system.

5. Are there any limitations to using polar coordinates in statistical mechanics?

While polar coordinates can be useful in certain systems, they may not be the best choice for all situations. In some cases, Cartesian coordinates may be more appropriate and may lead to simpler calculations. Additionally, some systems may not exhibit spherical symmetry and therefore may not benefit from the use of polar coordinates.