Statistical Mechanics in GR: Basics & Applications

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a statistical mechanics for general relativity (GR) that resembles the one in classical mechanics. However, due to the differences between the two theories, it is not possible to have a fully covariant formulation for GR. Instead, there is a covariant formulation for equilibrium statistical mechanics in GR, but it is limited to a preferred frame where the system is time-independent. Non-equilibrium statistical mechanics in GR is more complicated and there is no clear consensus on how to approach it. Furthermore, the concept of measuring temperature in different frames of reference also presents challenges in GR. Overall, while there are some formulations and theories that attempt to address statistical mechanics in GR, it remains a complex and ongoing topic of discussion
andresB
Background: I'm just a guy who took some (very old fashioned) undergrad GR course some years ago. I'm only know about the basic stuff and nothing of the more advanced stuff.

Question: Is there an statistical mechanics for GR that resembles the one in classical mechanics?, I mean with Hamiltonians, phase space, and Liouville equation for probability density?

Physics news on Phys.org
Some of the following may be useful:

http://physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=3196058&postcount=6

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/entropy.html

http://physics.stackexchange.com/a/9309/4552

http://philsci-archive.pitt.edu/4744/1/gravent_archive.pdf

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/c.../latest-declamations-about-the-arrow-of-time/

http://www.phy.olemiss.edu/~luca/Topics/grav/entropy.html

http://www.mth.uct.ac.za/%7Ehenk/ref_dir/chge.html

You're not going to get a Hamiltonian formulation, because the Hamiltonian formulation assigns a special role to time, whereas in relativity time is just another coordinate.

I think there is a fully covariant formulation for hamiltonian mechanics in special relativity where time is just another coordinate, so perhaps the problem in GR is in another place?

Anyways, thanks for the links, I Will read them, though I'm sad there is no Liouville equation in phase space for GR.

andresB said:
I think there is a fully covariant formulation for hamiltonian mechanics in special relativity where time is just another coordinate, so perhaps the problem in GR is in another place?

It may depend on exactly what you have in mind, but the Currie-Jordan-Sudarshan theorem is often interpreted as a no-go theorem for this.

Likes dextercioby
There still is something unclear in statistical mechanics in SR, I have heard. For example transformation of temperature under Lorentz transformation is fully understood?

bcrowell said:
It may depend on exactly what you have in mind, but the Currie-Jordan-Sudarshan theorem is often interpreted as a no-go theorem for this.
Interesting, I will have to take a look at it. I was talking about the formulation in here

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0198766807/?tag=pfamazon01-20

One should distinguish equilibrium statistical mechanics from non-equilibrium statistical mechanics. The latter is much more complicated, so in the following I will restrict myself only to equilibrium statistical mechanics.

By definition, equilibrium is a state which does not change with time. Clearly, the notion of "not changing with time" cannot be invariant under general coordinate transformation, Lorentz transformations, or even non-relativistic Galilean transformations. Hence, in my opinion, it does not make much sense to look for a "covariant" formulation of equilibrium statistical physics. In equilibrium there is a preferred frame, the one in which the system is time-independent.

Last edited:
andresB said:
Question: Is there an statistical mechanics for GR that resembles the one in classical mechanics?, I mean with Hamiltonians, phase space, and Liouville equation for probability density?
If you don't insist that the formulation should be covariant (see my post above), then the answer is trivially - yes.

bcrowell said:
I don't think that this theorem is relevant here. The theorem excludes relativistic-covariant theory of interacting point-like particles. However, if there are also fields, then a relativistic covariant interacting theory is possible. For example, classical electrodynamics is a relativistic-covariant theory of charged particles and EM fields. But you cannot describe interactions between charged particles in a covariant way without introducing EM fields.

Likes dextercioby
Demystifier said:
If you don't insist that the formulation should be covariant (see my post above), then the answer is trivially - yes.

So, it exist but only works on a given reference system at a time?. It's something, do you have a link with more information?

EDIT: I see that you mentioned in your first post that you were talking about equilibrium statistical mechanics, I'm however more interested in a Liouville-like equation

andresB said:
So, it exist but only works on a given reference system at a time?. It's something, do you have a link with more information?

EDIT: I see that you mentioned in your first post that you were talking about equilibrium statistical mechanics, I'm however more interested in a Liouville-like equation
For equilibrium see the book
R.C. Tolman, Relativity, Thermodynamics and Cosmology (1934)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0486653838/?tag=pfamazon01-20
The book is not only great, but also quite cheap.

I don't know much about the non-equilibrium case, but perhaps some of the following might be useful
http://pubman.mpdl.mpg.de/pubman/item/escidoc:153656:2/component/escidoc:1175603/Ehler_LNP28.pdf
http://relativity.livingreviews.org/Articles/lrr-2011-4/

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes dextercioby
Demystifier said:
In equilibrium there is a preferred frame, the one in which the system is time-independent.

In one frame let water, ice and vapor at triple point keep coexisting in a vessel. In other frame such coexistence are not observed?

sweet springs said:
In one frame let water, ice and vapor at triple point keep coexisting in a vessel. In other frame such coexistence are not observed?
Depends on what do you mean by "observed". In particular, you need to measure the temperature. But can you measure temperature in the ice if the thermometer moves with respect to ice? The problem, of course, is the fact that ice is solid, so thermometer cannot move through ice.

The situation is little less problematic with liquid and vapor phases, as thermometers can move through them. But the liquid phase will produce more friction, so the moving thermometer in the liquid will show larger temperature than that in vapor.

If you are a smart experimentalist, you will measure the temperature of radiation produced by those 3 phases. But then, philosophically, can you really say that the temperature of radiation is exactly the same thing as the temperature of its source? Moreover, what if the material does not radiate as a perfect black body? (In fact, no material does; there is always at least a small deviation, and for some materials, like those in LED bulbs, the deviation is large.) Furthermore, there are also some practical problems with this idea; if the thermometer moves very fast with constant velocity and the source is small, there will be not enough time to determine the temperature by a realistic thermometer.

Last edited:
Likes dextercioby
Thank you. You teach me that gaseous, liquid and vapor phases of materials are not independent to frames. It is interesting if ice cube in my referegirator is vapor for an observer in another frame of reference.

sweet springs said:
You teach me that gaseous, liquid and vapor phases of materials are not independent to frames.

That's not what he said. What he said was that the temperature of the different phases is frame-dependent--if you have solid, liquid, and vapor all in equilibrium at the same temperature in one frame, in a different frame you will have solid, liquid, and vapor at different temperatures. But what was solid, liquid, or vapor in one frame will still be solid, liquid, or vapor in the other frame; the phase doesn't change, the temperature does. (The pressure and density also change from one frame to another, so the physical laws that determine what phase the material is in are still valid.)

Likes Demystifier
Thanks. Inhomogeneous temperature in the vessel according to occupation of ice, liquid water and vapor is quite interesting.
A SR simpler case temperature of river water puzzles me.

Last edited:

Related to Statistical Mechanics in GR: Basics & Applications

1. What is Statistical Mechanics in GR?

Statistical Mechanics in GR (General Relativity) is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of a large number of particles or systems in the framework of General Relativity. It combines the principles of statistical mechanics, which deals with the behavior of a large number of particles, with the principles of General Relativity, which describes the gravitational interactions between masses.

2. How is Statistical Mechanics applied in GR?

Statistical Mechanics in GR is applied in various fields, such as astrophysics, cosmology, and black hole thermodynamics. It provides a framework for understanding the statistical behavior of large systems, such as galaxies and clusters of galaxies, in the context of General Relativity. It also helps in understanding the thermodynamic properties of black holes and their role in the universe.

3. What are the basic principles of Statistical Mechanics in GR?

The basic principles of Statistical Mechanics in GR include the concept of microstates and macrostates, the Boltzmann distribution, and the thermodynamic limit. Microstates refer to the specific configurations of particles in a system, while macrostates refer to the overall properties of the system. The Boltzmann distribution describes the probability of a system being in a particular macrostate, and the thermodynamic limit states that the behavior of a large system can be described by statistical mechanics.

4. What are some practical applications of Statistical Mechanics in GR?

Some practical applications of Statistical Mechanics in GR include studying the evolution of galaxies and the large-scale structure of the universe, understanding the thermodynamic properties of black holes, and predicting the behavior of matter in extreme conditions, such as in the early universe or near a black hole.

5. How does Statistical Mechanics in GR relate to other areas of physics?

Statistical Mechanics in GR is closely related to other areas of physics, such as quantum mechanics, thermodynamics, and cosmology. It combines the principles of statistical mechanics with the principles of General Relativity, which is a theory of gravity. Additionally, it provides a bridge between microscopic and macroscopic phenomena, making it a fundamental tool in understanding the behavior of matter in a wide range of physical systems.