Statistical Mech- basically a differentiation /integral q

In summary, the conversation discusses differentiating a function with an upper limit that depends on a variable, and the use of a product rule to explain the second term in the solution. It is identified as the Leibniz integral rule.
binbagsss

Homework Statement

See attached.

period.png

to get ##p## I need to differentiate ##F## w.r.t ##V##, but I also have that the upper limit ##T_{D}## depends on ##V##, so I must take this into consideration when doing the differentiation.

The solution looks as though it has done this without evaluating the integral, so rather it has differentiated the integral as usual and then added a term which is evaluated at the upper limit ##\frac{T_D}{T}## and then multiplied by ##\frac{\partial}{\partial } (\frac{T}{T_D})##

So this is clearly some sort of product rule, but can somebody just explain the second term more formally to me, it isn't inegrated wr.t. ##x## so I think some sort of chain rule is at work with the ##\frac{\partial}{\partial V}## but I can't seem to get it.

Homework Equations

see above

The Attempt at a Solution

see above

Many thanks in advance [/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
binbagsss said:

Homework Statement

See attached.

View attachment 132769

to get ##p## I need to differentiate ##F## w.r.t ##V##, but I also have that the upper limit ##T_{D}## depends on ##V##, so I must take this into consideration when doing the differentiation.

The solution looks as though it has done this without evaluating the integral, so rather it has differentiated the integral as usual and then added a term which is evaluated at the upper limit ##\frac{T_D}{T}## and then multiplied by ##\frac{\partial}{\partial } (\frac{T}{T_D})##

So this is clearly some sort of product rule, but can somebody just explain the second term more formally to me, it isn't inegrated wr.t. ##x## so I think some sort of chain rule is at work with the ##\frac{\partial}{\partial V}## but I can't seem to get it.

Homework Equations

see above

The Attempt at a Solution

see above

Many thanks in advance [/B]

It's just this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leibniz_integral_rule, isn't it?

Related to Statistical Mech- basically a differentiation /integral q

1. What is statistical mechanics?

Statistical mechanics is a branch of physics that uses statistical methods to describe and predict the behavior of large systems of particles, such as atoms or molecules. It is based on the principles of thermodynamics and the concept of entropy.

2. How is statistical mechanics different from classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics deals with the behavior of individual particles, while statistical mechanics deals with the behavior of large groups of particles. It also takes into account the probabilistic nature of particle interactions, rather than the deterministic nature of classical mechanics.

3. What is the role of differentiation in statistical mechanics?

Differentiation is used in statistical mechanics to describe the behavior of a system at the microscopic level. It allows us to calculate quantities such as energy, temperature, and pressure, which are essential for understanding the macroscopic behavior of a system.

4. How does statistical mechanics use integrals?

Integrals are used in statistical mechanics to calculate the average values of thermodynamic quantities, such as energy and entropy, for a given system. They are also used to derive equations that describe the behavior of a system in equilibrium.

5. What are some real-world applications of statistical mechanics?

Statistical mechanics is used in a wide range of fields, including chemistry, biology, and materials science. It is used to understand and predict the behavior of gases, liquids, and solids, as well as complex systems such as proteins and polymers. It is also used in the development of new technologies, such as advanced materials and computer simulations.