Statistical and spectral function in thermal state

Therefore, we can express the operators \phi_a(t,\vec{x}) and \phi_b(0,\vec{0}) in terms of these creation and annihilation operators. I would suggest that you use this approach to express your expression for \rho_{ab}(\omega,\vec{k}).Finally, once you have expressed \rho_{ab}(\omega,\vec{k}) in terms of the thermal average and the creation and annihilation operators, you can use the definition of G_{ab}(\omega,\vec{k}) to show that:G_{ab}(\omega,\vec{k}) =
physicus

Homework Statement

The statistical and spectral functions for bosonic operators [itex]\phi_a[/itex] are:
[itex] G_{ab}(t,\vec{x})=\frac{1}{2}\langle \{\phi_a(t,\vec{x}),\phi_b(0,\vec{0})\}\rangle [/itex],
[itex] \rho_{ab}(t,\vec{x})=\langle [\phi_a(t,\vec{x}),\phi_b(0,\vec{0})]\rangle [/itex].
The expectation values are in static thermal equilibrium in the grand canonical ensemble with Hamiltonian [itex]H'=H-\mu Q[/itex].

Show that
[itex] G_{ab}(\omega,\vec{k})=\frac{1}{2}\frac{1+e^{-\beta \omega}}{1-e^{-\beta\omega}}\rho_{ab}(\omega,\vec{k})[/itex]
using the definitions of [itex]G_{ab}(\omega,\vec{k})[/itex] and [itex]\rho_{ab}(\omega,\vec{k})[/itex] in the basis of H' and inserting a complete set of states.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]G_{ab}(\omega,\vec{k})[/itex] and [itex]\rho_{ab}(\omega,\vec{k})[/itex] re defined as Fourier transforms of the above expressions. The expectation values are given as
[itex] \langle A \rangle = \frac{tr\, e^{\beta H'}A}{tr\, e^{\beta H'}}[/itex]
so
[itex] \rho_{ab}(\omega,\vec{k})=\int d^dx dt\, \langle [\phi_a(t,\vec{x}),\phi_b(0,\vec{0})] \rangle e^{-i\vec{k}\vec{x}+i\omega t}[/itex]
[itex] = \frac{1}{tr\, e^{\beta H'}}\int d^dx dt \sum_\alpha \langle\alpha|e^{\beta H'}[\phi_a(t,\vec{x}),\phi_b(0,\vec{0})]|\alpha\rangle e^{-i\vec{k}\vec{x}+i\omega t}[/itex]
[itex] = \frac{1}{tr\, e^{\beta H'}}\int d^dx dt \sum_{\alpha,\gamma} \langle\alpha|e^{\beta \omega_\gamma}|\gamma\rangle\langle\gamma|[\phi_a(t,\vec{x}),\phi_b(0,\vec{0})]|\alpha\rangle e^{-i\vec{k}\vec{x}+i\omega t}[/itex]
[itex] = \frac{1}{tr\, e^{\beta H'}}\int d^dx dt \sum_\alpha e^{\beta \omega_\alpha}\langle\alpha|[\phi_a(t,\vec{x}),\phi_b(0,\vec{0})]|\alpha\rangle e^{-i\vec{k}\vec{x}+i\omega t}[/itex]

However, I don't know how the operators [itex]\phi_a(t,\vec{x})[/itex] act on the eigenstates of H' which I called [itex]|\alpha\rangle[/itex] here. So I don't really know how to proceed.

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear fellow forum member,

Thank you for your response to my post. I am glad to see that you have made some progress in your attempt to solve the problem. However, I would like to offer some suggestions and clarifications to help you further.

Firstly, in your attempt, you have used the operators \phi_a(t,\vec{x}) in the basis of H', which is a good approach. However, you have not fully utilized the fact that the expectation values are in thermal equilibrium in the grand canonical ensemble with Hamiltonian H'. This means that we can write the expectation values in terms of the thermal average over all possible states, which can be expressed as a trace over the states. In other words, we can write:

\langle A \rangle = \frac{1}{Z}\mathrm{Tr}\left(e^{-\beta H'}A\right)

where Z = \mathrm{Tr}\left(e^{-\beta H'}\right) is the partition function. This is a useful expression, as it allows us to express the expectation values in terms of the thermal average of the operator A. This is particularly helpful when dealing with operators that do not commute, as in the case of \phi_a(t,\vec{x}) and \phi_b(0,\vec{0}). Therefore, I would suggest that you re-express your expression for \rho_{ab}(\omega,\vec{k}) using this approach.

Secondly, in your attempt, you have inserted a complete set of states, which is a good step. However, you have not fully utilized the fact that the operators \phi_a(t,\vec{x}) and \phi_b(0,\vec{0}) are bosonic operators. This means that they can be expressed in terms of creation and annihilation operators, which can be used to create and destroy particles respectively. In other words, we can write:

\phi_a(t,\vec{x}) = \int \frac{d^3p}{(2\pi)^3}\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\omega_{\vec{p}}}}\left(a_{\vec{p}}e^{-ip\cdot x}+a_{\vec{p}}^\dagger e^{ip\cdot x}\right)

where a_{\vec{p}} and a_{\vec{p}}^\dagger are the annihilation and creation operators respectively, and \omega_{\vec{p}}

Related to Statistical and spectral function in thermal state

1. What is the definition of statistical and spectral function in thermal state?

The statistical and spectral function in thermal state is a concept used in statistical mechanics to describe the distribution of energy levels in a system at thermal equilibrium.

2. How are statistical and spectral function related to each other?

The statistical function describes the probability of a system being in a particular energy state, while the spectral function describes the energy levels and their corresponding probabilities.

3. What is the significance of studying statistical and spectral function in thermal state?

Studying statistical and spectral function in thermal state allows us to understand the behavior of a system at equilibrium and predict its thermodynamic properties, such as temperature and entropy.

4. How is the statistical and spectral function affected by temperature?

As temperature increases, the statistical function shifts towards higher energy states, while the spectral function broadens and the peak shifts to higher energies.

5. Are there any real-world applications of statistical and spectral function in thermal state?

Yes, statistical and spectral function in thermal state are used in various fields such as material science, astrophysics, and engineering to analyze and predict the behavior of complex systems at equilibrium.