Stationary States vs General Solution

In summary, for a simple infinite square well potential, the solutions to the Schrodinger equation are Ψn(x)=√(2/a)sin(nπx/a), and the time-dependent wave function is given by Ψn(x,t)=√(2/a)sin(nπx/a)e^(-iEn t/ℏ). However, when considering a particle in a superposition of energy eigenstates, the general wave function Ψ(x,t)=∑cnΨn(x,t) is used, where the coefficients cn describe the probability of measuring a specific energy eigenstate.
jaydnul
Tell me if the following is correct. For a simple infinite square well potential, the solutions to the Schrodinger equation are [itex]\Psi_n(x)=\sqrt{\frac{2}{a}}sin(\frac{n\pi x}{a})[/itex], then you plug in the appropriate value for n and operate on the function accordingly to get your observables.

Then if you want to tack on the time dependence you can write it as [itex]\Psi_n(x,t)=\sqrt{\frac{2}{a}}sin(\frac{n\pi x}{a})e^{\frac{-iE_n t}{\hbar}}[/itex], but in this case we know it doesn't depend on time because the time variable will always cancel when calculating an observable. Fine.

What is confusing me is that [itex]\Psi(x,t)= \sum c_n\Psi_n(x,t)[/itex] is said to be the actual wave function of the particle. Wouldn't solving this summation result in one equation, and therefore one wave function that doesn't have distinct quantized values? In other words it doesn't have an n variable to input your state. Am I supposed to operate in this wave function to find my observables?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Jd0g33 said:
What is confusing me is that Ψ(x,t)=∑cnΨn(x,t)\Psi(x,t)= \sum c_n\Psi_n(x,t) is said to be the actual wave function of the particle. Wouldn't solving this summation result in one equation, and therefore one wave function that doesn't have distinct quantized values? In other words it doesn't have an n variable to input your state. Am I supposed to operate in this wave function to find my observables?

That general wave function describes a particle that is not in an energy eigenstate, but rather is in a superposition of energy eigenstates. If you measure its energy, you will get the result ##E_n## with probability ##|c_n^2|##.

Any arbitrary state, which may or may not be an eigenfunction of some other observable, can be written as a sum of the energy eigenstates found by solving the time-independent Schrodinger equation.

Related to Stationary States vs General Solution

1. What is the difference between stationary states and general solution?

Stationary states refer to specific quantum states that do not change over time, whereas general solution refers to the overall behavior of a quantum system that can change over time.

2. How are stationary states and general solution related?

Stationary states are a subset of the general solution. The general solution includes all possible energy states of a system, while stationary states are those that have a constant energy and do not change over time.

3. How are stationary states and general solution used in quantum mechanics?

Stationary states are used to describe the energy levels of a quantum system, while the general solution is used to determine the overall behavior and evolution of the system over time.

4. Can a system have both stationary states and a general solution?

Yes, a system can have both stationary states and a general solution. The stationary states are a subset of the general solution and can coexist with other energy states in the system.

5. How do stationary states and general solution relate to the Schrodinger equation?

The Schrodinger equation is used to calculate the general solution of a quantum system, which includes all possible energy states. Stationary states can be found by solving the Schrodinger equation with the additional condition that the energy is constant.