[Statics - Torques] Determining the tension of a string

In summary, the problem involves determining the tension in a string attached to a 10.0kg sphere on an incline. The solution method includes breaking down forces into components, choosing a center of rotation, and using torque calculations. The radial distances can be determined using trigonometry and will cancel out in the final calculation.
erickbq

Homework Statement

A 10.0kg sphere is attached to the incline by a horizontal string. Determine the tension in the string.

Homework Equations

(F⃗ net)x=ΣFx=0

(F⃗ net)y=ΣFy=0

Στ=0

τ = (radial disance)(F)

The Attempt at a Solution

1. I began by determining all the relevant forces associated with the sphere, broke them up into components, and place them in a free-body diagram and table.

2. Since I have no information on the friction force and normal force, I then chose a center of rotation (c.o.r.) that would cancel them.

3. This step is the one I'm having trouble with. To determine the torque with respect to the c.o.r., it's my understanding that you can take the shortest, radial distance from the c.o.r. that is perpendicular to the force (which is the arm lever) and multiply it by that force. My issue is I have no idea how to determine those distances. I have a feeling that this question has no need for that information since I'm sure they'll end up canceling out but I just can't get past it.

Attachments

• XFSHeNH - Imgur.jpg
    XFSHeNH - Imgur.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 502
Physics news on Phys.org
erickbq said:
it's my understanding that you can take the shortest, radial distance from the c.o.r. that is perpendicular to the force (which is the arm lever) and multiply it by that force.
That is a possible way to calculate it.
You can express those distances (marked red in the sketch) as function of the sphere radius r and the given angle with trigonometry. The radius will cancel out later as all distances are proportional to it.

Likes erickbq

Related to [Statics - Torques] Determining the tension of a string

1. How do you calculate the tension of a string in statics?

The tension of a string can be calculated using the formula T = F * d, where T is the tension, F is the force acting on the string, and d is the distance from the point of application of the force to the point where the string is attached. This assumes that the string is in equilibrium and the forces acting on it are balanced.

2. What is the significance of determining the tension of a string in statics?

Determining the tension of a string is important in statics as it helps us understand the stability and equilibrium of a system. It also allows us to calculate the strength and stability of structures and ensure that they can withstand the forces acting on them.

3. What factors can affect the tension of a string?

The tension of a string can be affected by factors such as the magnitude and direction of the applied force, the weight of the object attached to the string, the length and material of the string, and any external forces acting on the string.

4. How do you account for the weight of the string when calculating tension?

The weight of the string can be accounted for by adding it to the total force acting on the string. This weight is usually represented by the symbol "W" and is added to the force in the formula T = F * d.

5. Can the tension of a string ever be negative?

No, the tension of a string cannot be negative. It is always a positive value as it represents the force pulling the string taut in opposite directions.