Statics: Rigid Body Equilibrium

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving disks and a diagram. The speaker is struggling to understand how a triangle was obtained for a certain force and only knows that it involves the force of one disk acting on another. The solution involves using the radii of the two disks and applying geometry to derive the components of the force vector.
Chandasouk
Hello, I was wondering if someone could explain part of the solution to this problem for me.

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/5517/disksproblem.png

To the right is the Free Body Diagram of Disk E, and I can draw the forces on there well enough. But I really do not understand how they obtained that triangle for N' (1-5-√24). I know this is the force of disk D acting on disk E, but that's about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
When two circles touch, the point of contact lies on a line joining the centers of the two circles. Using the two radii and some geometry, you can derive the components of the N' vector.

Related to Statics: Rigid Body Equilibrium

1. What is statics?

Statics is a branch of mechanics that deals with the study of forces and their effects on a body that is at rest, rather than in motion.

2. What is a rigid body?

A rigid body is an idealized model of a solid object that does not deform under the action of external forces. This means that the size and shape of the body remain constant under the influence of forces.

3. What is equilibrium?

Equilibrium refers to a state of balance where the net force and torque acting on a body are equal to zero. In other words, the body is not moving or rotating.

4. How do you determine if a rigid body is in equilibrium?

A rigid body is in equilibrium if the sum of all forces acting on it is equal to zero and the sum of all torques acting on it is also equal to zero. This can be determined by using the equations of static equilibrium.

5. What are the conditions for rigid body equilibrium?

The conditions for rigid body equilibrium are that the sum of all forces acting on the body must be equal to zero, and the sum of all torques acting on the body must also be equal to zero. Additionally, the lines of action of forces must intersect at a common point, and the forces must be coplanar (lie in the same plane).