Statics Question with Couple Moments and Right Hand Rule Comprehension

In summary, Sara is having trouble understanding how to use the right hand rule to determine moments. She identifies the force in the upper right corner as being 3kN and breaks the force down into its components perpendicular and parallel to the moment arm. She is then able to determine the magnitude and direction of the force.
sara.

Homework Statement

I'm having problems with understanding how to use the right hand rule as it applies to forces and determining moments. If I understand correctly, The fingers point in the direction of the force, then curl in the direction of r, but I'm not sure what r would be in this case.

http://imgur.com/1axaTme

Homework Equations

M=r X F

The Attempt at a Solution

My main struggle is with the force in the upper right corner. If I'm trying to find the moment about point A from this force, I point my fingers in the direction of F, then curl them in the direction of r which I'm considering to be from A to F, and I wind up with my thumb pointing into my computer screen. I'm not sure if this is correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
In that picture there are several forces - each acting at a different place.
Your first step is to identify the pivot - which you identify as point A.
The moments will all be "clockwise" or "anticlockwise" - so there is no need for any "hand rule"; right, left, or otherwise. You should be able to tell by just looking at it which way each force should be trying to turn the beam. Just pick one turning direction to be positive.

Hi Sara,

The best way for you to understand how the forces all act relative to point A is to break them down into their rectangular components.

When I used to solve these types of problems at university I would always draw the following diagram to communicate to the people marking my assignments/exams what I took to be positive i.e. my sign convention.

peITzDK.jpg

Any forces that point in the same direction as either my Y or X arrows I would take as positive forces. Any moments (force x lever arm) that would rotate in the anti-clockwise direction I would also take as positive. When students are first introduced to the concept of torque or bending moments, many tutors use the "right hand rule" to establish a sign convention. Simply raise your right hand in front of you, point your thumb towards your face and rotate your wrist such that your four other fingers rotate in a anti-clockwise motion. Your fingers will rotate in the same direction as the curved arrow in the sketch above. Any forces that try to spin your structure in this direction will be denoted as a positive moment.

Let's now take the exercise you've been looking at and apply this.

To better understand how the force of 3kN acting in the "upper right corner" acts on your structure, it's best that you break the force into its rectangular components. In the next diagram I have illustrated this for you.

dP9mvio.jpg

I have annotated in red the rectangular components in which the 3kN force at 30 degrees can be represented in the "X-Y" Cartesian plane. Your understanding of basic vectors will allow you to better represent (and calculate both Fx and Fy) these forces as follows:

JdTDyS5.jpg

With this information I now pose to you the questions:
  1. Is the Force Fy positive or negative relative to your newly formed sign convention?
  2. What is the magnitude of Force Fy?
  3. In what direction will Force Fy cause the structure to spin about point A?
  4. Using our newly formed sign convention, is this spinning in the same direction as our curved arrow/fingers? Hence, is the direction of rotation positive of negative?

Should you be able to confidently answer these questions for Force Fy, attempt to do the same with Force Fx.

@Engineering01:
That's very clear and succinct ... however, isn't it more useful to resolve the force into components perpendicular and parallel to the moment arm rather than to the vertical and horizontal - especially, as in this case, when the moment arm makes an angle to these directions?

Compare, also, your right hand rule above with the right-hand rule more usually applied to cross products - i.e.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/tord.html

Simon Bridge said:
@Engineering01:
That's very clear and succinct ... however, isn't it more useful to resolve the force into components perpendicular and parallel to the moment arm rather than to the vertical and horizontal - especially, as in this case, when the moment arm makes an angle to these directions?

Compare, also, your right hand rule above with the right-hand rule more usually applied to cross products - i.e.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/tord.html

It is, but this quickly becomes rather complicated, especially for 3-D problems. The simple way to do this is vectorially, using M = r x F, as stated in the OP.

SteamKing said:
It is, but this quickly becomes rather complicated, especially for 3-D problems. The simple way to do this is vectorially, using M = r x F, as stated in the OP.
... agreed. Even so - you don't get to just add the moments unless they share an axis right?
Fortunately this case is in 2D ... I was hoping to encourage Engineering01 to refine the discription, or clarify it's concepts, since it had a lot of worthy elements.

Meantime - waiting for OP feedback :)
Knows about cross products, therefore does not need hand rule.

Related to Statics Question with Couple Moments and Right Hand Rule Comprehension

1. What is a couple moment in statics?

A couple moment in statics is a type of moment that occurs when two equal and opposite forces act on an object, causing it to rotate around its center of mass. It is also known as a torque or a rotational force.

2. How do you calculate the magnitude of a couple moment?

The magnitude of a couple moment can be calculated by multiplying one of the forces by the perpendicular distance between the two forces. This distance is also known as the lever arm or moment arm.

3. What is the right hand rule in statics?

The right hand rule is a method used to determine the direction of a vector quantity. In statics, it is used to determine the direction of a couple moment. To use the right hand rule, point your right thumb in the direction of the first force and your fingers in the direction of the second force. The direction of the moment is perpendicular to the palm of your hand.

4. Why is the right hand rule important in statics?

The right hand rule is important in statics because it helps us determine the direction of a moment, which is essential for solving problems involving rotational equilibrium. It also helps us visualize the direction of the forces and moments acting on an object, making it easier to understand the overall behavior of the system.

5. How do you use the right hand rule to solve problems in statics?

To use the right hand rule in statics, follow these steps:
1. Identify the two forces that make up the couple moment.
2. Point your right thumb in the direction of the first force and your fingers in the direction of the second force.
3. The direction of the moment is perpendicular to the palm of your hand.
4. Use the magnitude and direction of the moment to solve the problem, keeping in mind the principles of rotational equilibrium.