Statics Problem, Moment About an Axis

In summary, the conversation discusses problem 3.60, which involves finding the moment of a force using a matrix calculation. The unit vector components for line AD and the coordinates for point B where the force is applied are given. The force vector for the tension in BG is also calculated. The correct answer is supposed to be -111.0 N*m, but a mistake is made in the second row of the matrix calculation. The conversation ends with the problem being resolved.
yaro99

Homework Statement

Problem 3.60:
BgRMJLy.png

Homework Equations

[itex]M_{AD}= \begin{vmatrix}
\lambda_x & \lambda_y & \lambda_z \\
x_{B/A} & y_{B/A} & z_{B/A} \\
F_x & F_y & F_z &
\end{vmatrix}
[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Looking at the figure, these are the unit vector components for line AD:

[itex]\lambda_x=1 \ m
\\ \lambda_y= 0 \ m
\\ \lambda_z = -0.75 \ m
[/itex]

And these are the coordinates for point B where the force is applied:

[itex]x_{B/A}=0.5 \ m
\\ y_{B/A}= 0 \ m
\\ z_{B/A} = 0 \ m
[/itex]

The force vector for the tension in BG:
[itex]\mathbf{T_{BG}}= 450*(\frac{-0.5\hat{i}+0.925\hat{j}-0.4\hat{k}}{1.125})= -200\hat{i}+370\hat{j}-160\hat{k} \ N[/itex]

Plugging these values into the matrix above, I get -138.75 N*m, but the answer is supposed to be -111.0 N*m

Edit: Changed the mistake I made in the second row. Still getting the wrong answer.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Shouldn't λx^2+λy^2+λz^2 = 1 if these are the components of a unit vector?

SteamKing said:
Shouldn't λx^2+λy^2+λz^2 = 1 if these are the components of a unit vector?

Yes, I actually just figured it out. I had messed up when I took the unit vector components and didn't divide by the magnitude.
Is there a way I can close this thread?

We don't delete threads that have responses. Glad that you figured it out. :smile:

I would suggest double-checking your calculations and equations to ensure they are accurate. It is possible that there may be a mistake in your calculations or in the given values. Additionally, I would recommend seeking help from a peer or instructor to review your work and provide feedback. It is important to always double-check your work and seek assistance when needed to ensure accurate results.

Related to Statics Problem, Moment About an Axis

1. What is a moment about an axis?

A moment about an axis is a measure of the turning effect of a force on a rigid body. It is the product of the force and the perpendicular distance from the axis to the line of action of the force.

2. What is the difference between a moment and a force?

A force is a push or pull applied to an object, while a moment is the tendency of a force to cause rotation about an axis. In other words, a force can result in both linear and rotational motion, while a moment only causes rotational motion.

3. How do you calculate the moment about an axis?

The moment about an axis can be calculated by multiplying the force by the perpendicular distance from the axis to the line of action of the force. This can be represented by the equation M = Fd, where M is the moment, F is the force, and d is the perpendicular distance.

4. What is the unit of measurement for moment?

The unit of measurement for moment is typically newton-meters (Nm) in the SI system. In imperial units, it is typically pound-feet (lb-ft).

5. How does the direction of the force affect the moment about an axis?

The direction of the force affects the moment about an axis by determining the direction of rotation. If the force and the perpendicular distance are in the same direction, the moment will be positive (causing clockwise rotation), and if they are in opposite directions, the moment will be negative (causing counterclockwise rotation).