Statics Problem Help: Can't Get It Right - M=5860lb ft Off by 4

In summary, the concept of statics in physics involves studying stationary objects and their response to external forces. The purpose of solving statics problems is to understand the forces acting on an object and how they affect its equilibrium state. To solve a statics problem, one must draw a free-body diagram and apply the principles of equilibrium. Possible reasons for an error of being off by 4 in a statics problem could include mistakes in calculations or data. To improve understanding of statics problems, one can practice solving different types of problems and seek assistance from a tutor or study group, while also understanding key concepts such as Newton's laws of motion and equilibrium.
Leece
Missing homework template due to originally being posted in a technical forum.
media%2F0f4%2F0f412dbf-6502-4b5e-914b-f46cb387f3b1%2FphpkfkFhD.png

Please Help! I've been working on the problem for all day now and can't seem to get it right. One of my attempts came close to the answer in the back of the book but was off by about 4, the it should be at 30 degrees M=5860lb ft, and I got 5856. Along with this I have to enter the equations into an Excel spreadsheet, which isn't too happy with the equations I've found in the past. Any help or guidance would be much appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Please show your best attempt.

Related to Statics Problem Help: Can't Get It Right - M=5860lb ft Off by 4

1. What is the concept of statics in physics?

The concept of statics in physics deals with the study of stationary objects and how they respond to external forces. It involves analyzing the forces acting on an object and determining the equilibrium state of the object.

2. What is the purpose of solving statics problems?

The purpose of solving statics problems is to understand the forces acting on an object and how they affect its equilibrium state. This is important in engineering and other fields where it is necessary to design structures that can withstand external forces.

3. How do you approach solving a statics problem?

The first step in solving a statics problem is to draw a free-body diagram, which shows all the forces acting on the object. Then, apply the principles of equilibrium, which state that the sum of all forces acting on an object must be equal to zero and the sum of all torques acting on an object must also be equal to zero.

4. What could be causing the error of being off by 4 in the statics problem?

There could be several reasons for the error of being off by 4 in the statics problem. It could be due to a mistake in calculating the forces or torques, a miscalculation in the units, or an error in the given data. It is important to double-check all calculations and assumptions to pinpoint the source of the error.

5. How can I improve my understanding of statics problems?

To improve your understanding of statics problems, it is important to practice solving different types of problems and to seek help from a tutor or a study group. It is also helpful to understand the underlying concepts and principles behind statics, such as Newton's laws of motion and the concept of equilibrium.