Statics Problem about moments in couple

In summary, The conversation discusses a question about finding the answer of 60N and 125mm from C. The person is having difficulty solving the question and mentions that there are two forces, one clockwise and one anticlockwise, that should cancel each other out when calculating the moment. However, they are getting -24Nm and 7.5Nm for the forces. The other person clarifies that there are actually three forces and that the solution involves finding a single force with the same total value of 60N and determining the point on CD where it has the same moment as all three original forces.
zack7
I can seem to get the answer of 60N and 125mm from C

Thank you for the help

Attachments

• Document (3).pdf
    425.1 KB · Views: 263
Physics news on Phys.org
hi zack7! :wink:

show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

tiny-tim said:
hi zack7! :wink:

show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

I actually do not really know how to solve the question.

I now that there is two forces one clockwise and another anticlockwise and they both suppose to cancel each other out when I calculate the moment but for one I am getting -24Nm and the other 7.5Nm. After that I am not very sure what to do?

Thank you

hi zack7! :smile:
zack7 said:
I now that there is two forces one clockwise and another anticlockwise and they both suppose to cancel each other out when I calculate the moment but for one I am getting -24Nm and the other 7.5Nm. After that I am not very sure what to do?

no, there are three forces, you have to find a single force with the same total value (obviously, it's going to be 60N directly down the page), and you have to find the point on CD where that new 60 N has the same moment (about anywhere) as the total moment of all three original forces …

what do you get? :smile:

(and I'm not following where you got -24Nm or 7.5Nm from :confused:)

, but I am not able to provide a response to this content without more information. Can you please provide the specific problem and any relevant equations or diagrams? This will allow me to better understand the problem and provide a more accurate response. Thank you.

Related to Statics Problem about moments in couple

1. What is a moment in a couple?

A moment in a couple is a force that causes a rotation around a specific point. It is a vector quantity that has both magnitude and direction, and it is typically measured in units of newton-meters (Nm) in the SI system.

2. How do you calculate the moment in a couple?

The moment in a couple can be calculated by multiplying the force by the distance between the two forces. If the two forces are parallel, the moment is equal to the force multiplied by the perpendicular distance between the two forces.

3. What is the difference between a couple and a single force?

A single force acts at a specific point and can cause linear motion, whereas a couple has two equal and opposite forces acting at different points, causing rotational motion.

4. How do you find the resultant moment in a couple?

The resultant moment in a couple can be found by adding together the individual moments of each force in the couple. This can be done by using the vector addition or graphical methods.

5. What are some real-world applications of moments in couples?

Moments in couples are commonly used in structural engineering, such as designing beams and bridges. They are also important in the mechanics of machines and vehicles, as well as in everyday objects like door hinges and wrenches.