Statics Engineering Problem Involving Beams

In summary, the conversation discusses a flicker link for a homework problem and a solution link, with a request for feedback. The person providing feedback mentions that they are not a civil engineer but that the solution seems to be correct, with a bending moment to the left of R1 due to the beam loading. They also mention checking the numbers up to M3 and finding them to be correct.
Physics news on Phys.org
Anybody?

Is your solution incorrect? Is there a bending moment the the left of R1?

I am not a civil engineer but I read that the bending moment is the integral of the sheer force diagram. It looks like this is what you have done. I see there is a bending moment to the left of R1 due to the loading of the beam.

I checked your numbers up to M3 and I think you are doing good.

Related to Statics Engineering Problem Involving Beams

1. What is statics engineering?

Statics engineering is a branch of mechanics that deals with the analysis of stationary objects or systems. It involves understanding the forces acting on objects and determining their effects on the object's equilibrium.

2. What is a beam in statics engineering?

A beam is a structural element that is designed to resist bending and shear forces. It is commonly used in construction and engineering projects to support loads and distribute them to other structural elements, such as columns or walls.

3. How do you solve a statics engineering problem involving beams?

The first step in solving a statics engineering problem involving beams is to draw a free-body diagram of the beam and identify all the external forces acting on it. Then, use equations of equilibrium to solve for the unknown forces and reactions. Finally, check your solution by ensuring that the sum of all forces and moments is equal to zero.

4. What are the different types of beams in statics engineering?

There are three main types of beams in statics engineering: simply supported beams, cantilever beams, and overhanging beams. Simply supported beams are supported at both ends and are free to rotate. Cantilever beams are fixed at one end and supported at the other, while overhanging beams have one or both ends extending beyond the supports.

5. How does the material of a beam affect its strength in statics engineering?

The material of a beam can greatly affect its strength and ability to resist external forces. Different materials have different properties, such as elasticity and strength, that can impact the beam's performance. For example, a steel beam will have a higher strength compared to a wooden beam of the same size and shape, making it more suitable for certain applications.