Static Pressure in Transmission Lines - Understanding the Differences

In summary, the question is whether there is a difference in measuring static pressure from the down or up side of a pipe, and the individual is getting an error of 300 pascals when doing a zero measurement. They also mention the diameter of the pipe and ask for ideas to create a 300 pascal difference. The response suggests that the accuracy of the pressure measuring device may be the cause of the small error and mentions applying Pascal's law. They also mention that the accuracy may be poorer near the upper and lower limits of the device's range.
can12345

Homework Statement

Is there any difference if I measure static pressure value from the down side of the pipe or up side of the pipe? I am getting an error just small as 300 pascal when I do zero measurement.
Here I draw the system also. The diameter of pipe is 10 cm. What could be the possible ideas to create 300 pascal differences?

Tranmission lines?
Air bubble?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• 20150608141530.jpg
    20150608141530.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 342
Physics news on Phys.org
can12345 said:

Homework Statement

Is there any difference if I measure static pressure value from the down side of the pipe or up side of the pipe? I am getting an error just small as 300 pascal when I do zero measurement.
Here I draw the system also. The diameter of pipe is 10 cm. What could be the possible ideas to create 300 pascal differences?

Tranmission lines?
Air bubble?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

It depends on what sort of tolerance your pressure measuring device is capable of obtaining.

A pressure of 300 pascals is nothing. Standard atmospheric pressure is 101,325 pascals.

can12345 said:
Is there any difference if I measure static pressure value from the down side of the pipe or up side of the pipe?
Of course. You've actually measured less than you should expect..Apply pascals law.
I assume this measurement is near the bottom of the range of your device? The data sheet will likely state accuracy is poorer near the upper and lower limits of your devices range.

Related to Static Pressure in Transmission Lines - Understanding the Differences

1. What is static pressure in transmission lines?

Static pressure in transmission lines is the force exerted by a fluid (typically air or gas) on the walls of the transmission line. It is a measure of the potential energy stored in the fluid due to its motion and is an important factor in determining the efficiency and performance of the transmission line.

2. How is static pressure different from dynamic pressure?

Static pressure is the pressure of a fluid at rest, while dynamic pressure is the pressure of a fluid in motion. In transmission lines, static pressure is typically used to measure the potential energy of the fluid, while dynamic pressure is used to measure the kinetic energy of the fluid.

3. What are the factors that affect static pressure in transmission lines?

The main factors that affect static pressure in transmission lines include the flow rate of the fluid, the temperature and density of the fluid, and the geometry and roughness of the walls of the transmission line. Changes in any of these factors can lead to changes in the static pressure.

4. How is static pressure measured in transmission lines?

Static pressure is typically measured using pressure sensors or gauges placed at strategic points along the transmission line. These sensors can measure the pressure directly or indirectly by measuring other properties of the fluid, such as its velocity or density.

5. Why is it important to understand the differences between static and dynamic pressure in transmission lines?

Understanding the differences between static and dynamic pressure is crucial in designing and operating efficient and safe transmission lines. It allows engineers to accurately predict the behavior of the fluid and make adjustments to optimize the performance of the system. It also helps in identifying potential issues and troubleshooting problems that may arise in the transmission line.