Static friction of ration of wheel

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of frictional force on a wheel that is being pushed with a constant horizontal force. The discussion includes different approaches to finding the frictional force, including using torques and rotational inertia. Ultimately, the correct answer is found by considering the kinetic friction in the wheel bearing. The conversation also touches on the importance of considering the construction of the wheel in finding its moment of inertia.
kahwawashay1

Homework Statement

A constant horizontal force F of magnitude 10N is applied to a wheel of mass 10 kg and radius 0.3 m. The wheel rolls smoothly and the acceleration of its center of mass is 0.6 m/s^2. What is that frictional force on the wheel?

The Attempt at a Solution

ok so the frictional force is static friction and assuming it rolls to the right and taking the right as positive, we have (S = static friction force):

ma=F-S
S=F-ma = 10- (10)(0.6) = 4 N

and I know that that's the right answer from my book. But can't you also find this using torques? (in the following, I=rotational inertia and R=radius, and taking clockwise as negative torque):

[itex]\tau[/itex]=I[itex]\alpha[/itex]=-SR

S= (-I/R)[itex]\alpha[/itex]

[itex]\alpha[/itex]=-a/R

I=(1/2)MR^2

S=(1/2)Ma = (1/2)(10)(0.6) = 3N ...which is not the right answer...why?
(sry meant "rotation" in title of thread not ration lol)

Physics news on Phys.org
It is an odd question. I don't think the friction it is asking for is anything to do with static friction of wheel on floor. The wheel is turning nicely on the floor, not trying to slip. The static friction is the potential grip the wheel has on the floor and would apply if you put on the brakes and tried to drag the wheel.

It seems to me the question is asking for the overall friction on the motion as you initially worked it out to 4 N. It is likely due mostly to kinetic friction in the wheel bearing.

Shouldn't the force depend on the rotational inertia of the wheel which was not given?

Thanks Spinnor! You are absolutely right; rotational inertia should be worked into it, and the 4 N answer is an oversimplification. Curious that it is the "correct" answer.

Oh, it doesn't give the moment of inertia (or info that could be used to calculate it). I guess we are suppose to ignore it.

Last edited:
Delphi51 said:
Thanks Spinnor! You are absolutely right; rotational inertia should be worked into it, and the 4 N answer is an oversimplification. Curious that it is the "correct" answer.

Oh, it doesn't give the moment of inertia (or info that could be used to calculate it). I guess we are suppose to ignore it.

I did work rotational inertia into my second calculations where i got 3 N. But I think my mistake came in assuming that the rotational inertia is 1/2MR^2, which should be right since this is a wheel, but since they don't give it i guess you have to work with stuff they do give you...

Delphi51 said:
It is an odd question. I don't think the friction it is asking for is anything to do with static friction of wheel on floor. The wheel is turning nicely on the floor, not trying to slip. The static friction is the potential grip the wheel has on the floor and would apply if you put on the brakes and tried to drag the wheel.

It seems to me the question is asking for the overall friction on the motion as you initially worked it out to 4 N. It is likely due mostly to kinetic friction in the wheel bearing.

according to my book, for a wheel to spin smoothly, there must be static friction between it and the surface of contact...and i am positive that they don't mean anything to do with the wheel bearing..

Yeah, if there wasn't any friction it would slide instead of turning. If there was any moment of inertia. But it certainly isn't correct to use the whole static coefficient in the way you did. That would make it harder to pull the thing with turning wheels than dragging with locked wheels (kinetic coefficient).

The moment of inertia depends on the construction of the wheel. If most of the mass is at the hub, the moment is very small.

Delphi51 said:
Yeah, if there wasn't any friction it would slide instead of turning. If there was any moment of inertia. But it certainly isn't correct to use the whole static coefficient in the way you did. That would make it harder to pull the thing with turning wheels than dragging with locked wheels (kinetic coefficient).

The moment of inertia depends on the construction of the wheel. If most of the mass is at the hub, the moment is very small.

if it certainly isn't correct then how come it gives the correct answer? I saw the solution manual in class and they do it same way. and every similar problem is done using the whole static coefficient..

Related to Static friction of ration of wheel

1. What is static friction?

Static friction is the force that resists the motion between two surfaces in contact with each other when there is no relative motion between them. It is a type of friction that occurs when an object is at rest and is trying to be put into motion.

2. How is static friction different from kinetic friction?

Static friction is the friction that exists between two surfaces when there is no relative motion between them. On the other hand, kinetic friction is the friction that occurs when there is relative motion between two surfaces in contact with each other.

3. What is the ratio of wheel to static friction?

The ratio of wheel to static friction is the coefficient of static friction, which is a dimensionless quantity that represents the ratio of the maximum force of static friction to the normal force between two surfaces in contact with each other.

4. How does the ratio of wheel to static friction affect the motion of a wheel?

The ratio of wheel to static friction determines the maximum force that can be applied to a wheel before it starts to slip or slide. A higher coefficient of static friction means that more force is required to overcome the friction and move the wheel, while a lower coefficient of static friction means less force is needed to move the wheel.

5. What factors affect the ratio of wheel to static friction?

The ratio of wheel to static friction is affected by the type of surfaces in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, and the amount of force pressing the surfaces together. It can also be affected by external factors such as temperature and the presence of lubricants or contaminants on the surfaces.