Static Friction: Max Force Magnitude Applied?

In summary, Fs, max in the equation mu=Fs, max/Fnormal represents the maximum value of the force of static friction and is exerted perpendicular to the surfaces in contact. On a level surface, the magnitude of the Fs, max is equal to the magnitude of the applied force that starts the object moving. The maximum static friction occurs just before the object starts to move.
celiachu

Homework Statement

Which of the following statements are true about Fs, max in the equation mu=Fs, max/Fnormal?

I. Fs, max is exerted perpendicular to the surfaces in contact.
II. Fs, max represents the maximum value of the force of static friction.
III. On a level surface, the magnitude of the Fs, max equals the magnitude of the applied force that starts the object moving.

Homework Equations

mu=Fs, max/Fnormal?

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I know that Friction is parallel to the surface and opposite to the direction of the force on the object, so I is out of the picture, and II seems a bit obvious, so that's one true answer. I'm not understanding the third one, though. Help? I just need an explanation to III to know if it is true or false.

Physics news on Phys.org
The maximum static friction will be at the instant just before the object starts to move. For example, if
[tex]F_{S, max}=12.000000000[/tex], then I would assume [tex]F=12.000000001[/tex] would be suffice to induce movement, which is essentially 12.

Related to Static Friction: Max Force Magnitude Applied?

1. What is static friction?

Static friction is a type of force that prevents an object from moving when a force is applied to it. It is the force that exists between two surfaces that are in contact with each other and at rest. Static friction is also known as "limiting friction" since it limits the maximum amount of force that can be applied before the object starts to move.

2. How is the maximum force of static friction determined?

The maximum force of static friction is determined by the coefficient of static friction and the normal force. The coefficient of static friction is a constant value that depends on the materials of the two surfaces in contact. The normal force is the force that is perpendicular to the surface and is equal to the weight of the object. The maximum force of static friction can be calculated by multiplying the coefficient of static friction by the normal force.

3. How does the angle of the applied force affect static friction?

The angle of the applied force does not affect the maximum force of static friction. As long as the force is applied perpendicular to the surface, the maximum force of static friction will remain the same. However, if the force is applied at an angle, the applied force can be resolved into components that are perpendicular and parallel to the surface. The perpendicular component will contribute to the normal force, while the parallel component will contribute to the force of friction.

4. Can the maximum force of static friction be greater than the applied force?

No, the maximum force of static friction cannot be greater than the applied force. The maximum force of static friction is the force that exists between the two surfaces to prevent the object from moving. If the applied force exceeds the maximum force of static friction, the object will start to move and the force of friction will become kinetic friction.

5. How does the surface area of contact affect static friction?

The surface area of contact does not affect the maximum force of static friction. As long as the materials of the two surfaces and the normal force remain the same, the maximum force of static friction will remain constant. However, a larger surface area of contact can distribute the force over a larger area, resulting in a lower pressure between the surfaces and potentially reducing the force of friction.