Stat.02 Find the value of the new variance

In summary, the data set contains 8 items with a sum of 48. The mean is 6 and the variance is 2. When each value in the set is multiplied by 3, the new mean is 18 and the new variance is 9 times the original variance. This shows that when each datum is multiplied by a scalar, the mean is multiplied by that same scalar while the variance is multiplied by the square of the scalar.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
There are 8 items in a data set. The sum of the items is 48.
a. Find the mean.
$\qquad\textit{mean}=\dfrac{\textit{sum}}{\textit{data set}}=\dfrac{48}{8}=\textbf{6}$
The variance of this data set is 2. Each value in the set is multiplied by 3.
b. Write down the value of the new mean.
$\qquad \textit{new mean} =\textit{current mean}\cdot \textit{scalar}=6\cdot 3=\textbf{18}$
c. Find the value of the new variance

OK I didn't know how to get the new variance

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The variance is, by definition, $\sum_{i= 1}^8 (x_i- 6)^2= 2$.
If each member of the data is multiplied by 3 we replace $x_i$ by $3x_i$ and, yes, the mean is 3(6)= 18 so the variance is $\sum_{i=1}^8 (3x- 18)^2= 9\sum_{i= 1}^8 (x_i- 6)^2$.

Notice that when every datum is multiplied by "a" the mean is multiplied by a but the variance, because it involves a square, is multiplied by $a^2$. Of course, the standard deviation, the square root of the variance, is also multiplied by a.

Related to Stat.02 Find the value of the new variance

1. What is the formula for finding the new variance?

The formula for finding the new variance is:
New Variance = (Old Variance)*(Sample Size)/(Sample Size - 1)

2. Why is it important to find the new variance?

Finding the new variance allows us to accurately measure the spread of data and make more informed decisions. It takes into account the sample size and provides a more precise estimate of the population variance.

3. How is the new variance different from the old variance?

The new variance takes into account the sample size, while the old variance does not. This means that the new variance is a more accurate representation of the population variance.

4. Can the new variance ever be smaller than the old variance?

No, the new variance will always be equal to or greater than the old variance. This is because the sample size is always greater than or equal to one, and the formula for finding the new variance involves dividing by the sample size minus one.

5. What is the significance of the new variance in statistical analysis?

The new variance is important in statistical analysis because it helps us make more accurate inferences about a population based on a sample. It also allows us to compare the variability of different samples, which can provide valuable insights in research and decision-making processes.