Star Delta Transformation Proof

In summary: Omega and in the star it is Ra+Rc.In summary, this "proof" you see is standard in any first-semester electrical engineering text (and i can go through it in detail if you want). The result is true, but i have never been satisfied with the proof because usually it requires assuming at the outset that the transformation of the circuit with all three terminals connected is equivalent to the transformation of the circuit when any arbitrary pair of terminals are connected. It turns out to be true for linear components (resistors or complex impedances) where the super-position property is valid (and that fact has to be established), but is not true
GPhab
I've come across a proof for star-delta transformation which goes like this.(Refer to the diagram for notation. Pardon me for my bad drawing skills.)

In the delta, he found the effective resistance between two vertices ( say a and c, which can found easily). Then he found the effective resistance between the same two vertices (a and c)
in the star. According to him Rac in the star(which denotes the resistance between a and c) is equal to Ra + Rc. What about Rb? It might not be connected here but it may in a circuit. It is like this(refer to second attachment). The resistance about ac in the left diagram of second attachment is 2[tex]\Omega[/tex](drawing analogy from the "faulty" proof) but link it to another circuit (shown in right diagram), the resistance about ac is different. So just because it isn't connected, it doesn't mean that you can ignore it. Here's the surprise. The proof gives the CORRECT EQUATIONS. Work it out. You'll end up with the right thing!Can anybody make things clear for me?

Attachments

• circuit.JPG
    circuit.JPG
    4.6 KB · Views: 859
  • circuit2.JPG
    circuit2.JPG
    3.4 KB · Views: 765
Physics news on Phys.org
Did I not follow any guidelines? How come nobody is replying?

I wonder why the third line in your second diagram is connected directly to 'a' and not between 'a' and 'c'.

GPhab said:
Did I not follow any guidelines? How come nobody is replying?

you need to be more patient. i hadn't seen this post before this moment. give it a couple of days and if no one responds by 48 hours, then you have good reason to inquire.

okay, first of all, this is normally called a "delta-Y transformation" or, less often, a "[itex]\pi[/itex]-T transformation". never heard of the "Y" called a "star" in this context.

GPhab said:
... Rac in the star(which denotes the resistance between a and c) is equal to Ra + Rc. What about Rb? It might not be connected here but it may in a circuit.

if it's not connected to anything, no current flows through it. if no current flows through it, the behavior is no different than an open circuit (a.k.a. nothing).

So just because it isn't connected, it doesn't mean that you can ignore it. Here's the surprise. The proof gives the CORRECT EQUATIONS. Work it out. You'll end up with the right thing!Can anybody make things clear for me?

if the impedance (or any two-terminal part) isn't connected on one end, how does it make any difference if it's connected (or not) on the other end?

this "proof" you see is standard in any first-semester electrical engineering text (and i can go through it in detail if you want). the result is true, but i have never been satisfied with the proof because usually it requires assuming at the outset that the transformation of the circuit with all three terminals connected is equivalent to the transformation of the circuit when any arbitrary pair of terminals are connected. it turns out to be true for linear components (resistors or complex impedances) where the super-position property is valid (and that fact has to be established), but is not true for non-linear devices.

Since this is homework/coursework, I moved it from General Physics to Homework Help.

. it turns out to be true for linear components (resistors or complex impedances) where the super-position property is valid (and that fact has to be established), but is not true for non-linear devices.

Can it be established using the principles we learn in high school physics? (Actually this "Y-delta" transformation is not in our syllabus, but I picked it up so that I could get a convincing solution for some problems like a cube of resistors-It turned out to be one heck of a workout though. :smile:)

I haven't received a convincing reply for the contradiction we are facing in circuit2.

In the second image, Rac will still be given by Ra+Rc.

The right hand circuit has an extra resistor (R1) and as such the overall resistance of the circuit will be calculated using a different equation (this doesn't have any effect on Rac only on the TOTAL resistance of the circuit). As the resistor R1 in in parallel with the Rac this would be calculated either using the product over sum rule:

[tex]R_{T}=\frac{R_{ac}\times R_{1}}{R_{ac}+R_{1}}[/tex]

or the equation:

[tex]\frac{1}{R_{T}}=\frac{1}{R_{ac}}+\frac{1}{R_{1}}[/tex]

I have attached a picture that will hopefully clarify my point a little further.

I think it is important to note that the circuits shown in the second image are in face connected in Star formation, if it were in Delta then there would only be a single Resistor connecting node A to node C (using the notation from your first diagram this would be R2.)

In addition to what rjb was saying in relation to Rb when finding the value for Rac, Rb has no effect but obviously when you come to find the value for Rab and Rbc then Rb comes into effect.

again using notation from your first diagram:

[tex]R_{1}=R_{ab}=R_{a}+R_{b}[/tex]

[tex]R_{3}=R_{bc}=R_{b}+R_{c}[/tex]

I hope this helps

Ram

Attachments

• YD Circuit.jpg
    YD Circuit.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 575

Related to Star Delta Transformation Proof

1. What is the Star Delta Transformation Proof?

The Star Delta Transformation Proof is a mathematical technique used in electrical engineering to simplify a complex network of resistors into a simpler form. It involves transforming a network from a “star” configuration to a “delta” configuration or vice versa.

2. Why is the Star Delta Transformation Proof used?

The Star Delta Transformation Proof is used to make complex resistor networks easier to analyze and solve. It allows for simpler calculations and provides a better understanding of the relationships between resistors in a circuit.

3. How does the Star Delta Transformation Proof work?

The proof involves using Kirchhoff's laws and Ohm's law to equate the voltages and currents in the original star or delta network with the equivalent network. This allows for the transformation of the resistors in the network to a simpler form.

4. What are the benefits of using the Star Delta Transformation Proof?

Using the Star Delta Transformation Proof can save time and effort in solving complex resistor networks. It also helps to reduce errors and provides a better understanding of the circuit's behavior.

5. Are there any limitations to the Star Delta Transformation Proof?

The Star Delta Transformation Proof is limited to resistor networks and cannot be applied to circuits with other components such as capacitors or inductors. It also assumes ideal conditions and does not account for non-linear behavior of resistors.