Standardization of H2O2 Solution

In summary: Therefore, you will need 80 mL of thiosulfate to react with 1 mole of I2, and since this is half of the total reaction (2 moles of I2), you will need 160 mL of thiosulfate to react with 1 mole of H2O2. Therefore, the concentration of H2O2 would be half of the concentration of thiosulfate.In summary, the standardization of H2O2 solution involves using it as an oxidant to convert iodide to iodine, which can be easily observed. In the second reaction, two thiosulfate anions combine in a radicalic coupling. The volume of thiosulfate used in the second trial may have
mousesgr
Standardization of H2O2 Solution
H2O2 (aq) + 2 I-(aq) + 2H+(aq)------> I2 (aq) + 2 H2O(l)
2 S2O32-(aq) + I2 (aq) à 2 I-(aq) + S4O62-(aq)

i want to know
1.why the volume of S2O32- used in trial 2 is more than trial 1?
2.What is the use of Na2S2O3 (aq) in Part I?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Well, the reaction is a classical one, with sufficient precision for most purposes. Hydrogen peroxide is the oxidant here, oxidizing iodide to iodine, which is very easy to observe from disappearance of brownish red color of iodine. In the second reaction, a radicalic coupling of two thiosulfate anions is present.

If you give more info about what trial 1 and 2, and also Part I mean, maybe we can be more helpful to you.

for part 1
Rinse a burette with deionized water and then with 0.05 M Na2S2O3 solution.
Record the initial burette reading in Table 1.
Pipette 1.00 cm3 of the ~0.8 M H2O2 solution into a clean 125 cm3 conical flask.
Measure 25 cm3 of deionized water with a 50 cm3 measuring cylinder. Pour it into the conical flask.
Measure 10 cm3 of 2.0 M sulphuric acid with a 10 cm3 clean measuring cylinder. Pour it into the conical flask.
Add 1 g of solid KI (record the exact mass) and 3 drops of ammonium molybdate catalyst into the conical flask.
Swirl the solution mixture until the KI dissolves.
Titrate the reaction mixture in the conical flask with the sodium thiosulphate solution until
it just turns pale yellow.
Add 3 drops of freshly prepared starch solution to the conical flask.
Continue to titrate the reaction mixture until it just changes from dark blue to colorless.
Record the final reading in Table 1.

trial 1 i got 31.2 cm3
trial 2 i got 33.4 cm3
i want to know why the reading of trial 2 is larger?

Continue to titrate the reaction mixture until it just changes from dark blue to colorless.
your difference in titrating seems to come from here; in trial 1, you may have determined the color change just on time, but in the second, you may have missed the point. It is generally recommended that you do a third final titration and calculate their average will give you the sufficient titer, okay for most purposes.

chem_tr said:
your difference in titrating seems to come from here; in trial 1, you may have determined the color change just on time, but in the second, you may have missed the point. It is generally recommended that you do a third final titration and calculate their average will give you the sufficient titer, okay for most purposes.

but all of my classmates got the same result...so i think the increase of the reading of trial 2 maybe not related to the problem you mentioned
um...will it related to H2O2?

Do you rinse the conical flack (erlenmeyer as we call it) after each trial? Any remaining iodine will cause a positive error. I recommend washing the flask with deionized water+thiosulfate+deionized water and drying prior to titration.

chem_tr said:
Do you rinse the conical flack (erlenmeyer as we call it) after each trial? Any remaining iodine will cause a positive error. I recommend washing the flask with deionized water+thiosulfate+deionized water and drying prior to titration.

but...i used another conical flask in trial 2

i also want to know What is the use of Na2S2O3 (aq)??

Thiosulfate here is the unique reactant for iodine; with this, we indirectly find the moles of hydrogen peroxide. You have written the equations already. If you go back a bit, you'll see that all of them are inter-related.

chem_tr said:
Thiosulfate here is the unique reactant for iodine; with this, we indirectly find the moles of hydrogen peroxide. You have written the equations already. If you go back a bit, you'll see that all of them are inter-related.

Hi,

I have some questions on this matter too.. The labscript said that I don't need to calculate the concentration of H2O2 in mol/dm, but just use the volume of thiosulphate that i used in the titration.

Let say , i used 40ml of thiosulphate, and from the equation 1 mole of I2 react with 2 moles of thiosulphate. DOes it mean the concnetration of H2O2 is twice as the volume of thiosulphate or half of the volume of thiosulphate?thanks.

Neither. It means that you will need two moles of thiosulfate to react with one mole of I2. (moles=molarity*volume(L))

Related to Standardization of H2O2 Solution

1. What is the purpose of standardizing an H2O2 solution?

The purpose of standardizing an H2O2 solution is to accurately determine the concentration of the solution. This is important for ensuring consistency and reproducibility in experiments and industrial processes.

2. How is the standardization of H2O2 solution performed?

The standardization of H2O2 solution is typically performed by titration with a standardized solution of potassium permanganate (KMnO4). The KMnO4 solution is added to the H2O2 solution until a color change occurs, indicating that all the H2O2 has been reacted. The volume of KMnO4 consumed is then used to calculate the concentration of the H2O2 solution.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of H2O2 standardization?

The accuracy of H2O2 standardization can be affected by several factors, such as the quality and purity of the chemicals used, the precision of the equipment and techniques used, and the environmental conditions (e.g. temperature, humidity) during the standardization process.

4. Why is it important to use a standardized H2O2 solution in experiments?

Using a standardized H2O2 solution is important in experiments because it ensures that the concentration of H2O2 being added to the reaction is known and consistent. This allows for more accurate and reliable results, and helps to minimize experimental errors.

5. Can H2O2 solutions be standardized in other ways besides titration?

Yes, H2O2 solutions can also be standardized using other methods such as iodometric titration, oxidation-reduction potential (ORP) measurements, and gravimetric analysis. However, titration with KMnO4 is the most commonly used method due to its accuracy and simplicity.