Standard addition concentration positive

In summary, the conversation discussed the computation of the limit of detection of zinc in an electrolyte using the standard additions method. The speaker obtained positive x-intercepts for 6 out of 8 samples, which implied negative final concentration values. They questioned whether they could just take the modulus as the concentration value, but acknowledged that this may only be applicable if the x-intercept is negative. The issue was raised that the amount of zinc in the electrolyte may be less than the smallest quantifiable amount. The other speaker suggested that this could be due to interference in the analysis. The first speaker confirmed that the lines were reasonably straight and the concentrations were very close to zero. They mentioned using diff pulse ASV with hdme and measuring 3
muonneutrino91
I am computing limit of detection of zinc of an electrolyte. Using standard additions method, I have obtained positive x intercepts for 6/8 samples all very close to zero.
Positive x-intercepts imply final concentration values to be negative. if x-intercept taken to be zero, the concentration is zero likewise.
I have read that one can just take the modulus as the concentration value determined, but I am sure that this is only on the assumption that the x-intercept is negative.

Is my problem then that the amount of zinc in my electrolyte to begin with is less than the smallest quantifiable amount? Even so, I am not sure how to tackle thisy = mx + c ;
y = signal (nA), x = concentration (ppm);

Attempt has been made taking modulus of everything, but as I say positive this isn't right thing to do. Only other possibility can foresee is taking intercepts to be zero, giving a zero concentration in the electrolyte to begin with.

Physics news on Phys.org
If I understand you, yes you have a problem. Do the positive x-intercepts look "real" (greater than the probable errors) and are your lines reasonably straight in those cases? If they are, you can't say much about those concentrations.

You didn't say how you were measuring the zinc concentrations; if the positive intercepts are outside the likely errors, I'd wonder about some sort of interference in the analysis--it looks as though something is removing zinc from the solution, or preventing it from being measured, or is producing some other effect that looks like that.

John Park said:
If I understand you, yes you have a problem. Do the positive x-intercepts look "real" (greater than the probable errors) and are your lines reasonably straight in those cases? If they are, you can't say much about those concentrations.

You didn't say how you were measuring the zinc concentrations; if the positive intercepts are outside the likely errors, I'd wonder about some sort of interference in the analysis--it looks as though something is removing zinc from the solution, or preventing it from being measured, or is producing some other effect that looks like that.

thank you for the response John, very much appreciated.
the lines are all reasonably straight. In those cases of positive intercept, they have values of order 10ppb at most with axis being ppm, so they are very close to zero. Likewise, those with negative intercepts are also very close, but yield ppm LODs.
the electrolyte is 1M KCl for which zinc has a very good response vs SCE. Using diff pulse ASV with hdme.
measurement is 3x standard addition of 10ul Zn (1000ppm) to 20ml of KCl. I can see from the initial KCl measures that there is a very very small amount of metals in it.
could my amount in the standard additions possibly be too much, causing too steep a gradient?

could my amount in the standard additions possibly be too much, causing too steep a gradient?

If you could work with a tenth, or less, of your present additions, I think it would be trying. Unfortunately I haven't been in a lab for ages, so I can't really guess at anything that might cause problems with your analytical methods, but are you assuming the zinc is completely Zn++? Could there be any impurities that would complex with it or chelate it?

How is the LOD defined and how is it calculated? I have a feeling you are sidetracked by an irrelevant fact. In real world no experimental curve goes exactly through zero, unless forced to do so.

Related to Standard addition concentration positive

What is standard addition concentration positive?

Standard addition concentration positive is a technique used in analytical chemistry to accurately determine the concentration of a substance in a sample. It involves adding known amounts of the substance to the sample and measuring the resulting change in concentration.

Why is standard addition concentration positive used?

Standard addition concentration positive is used because it can eliminate errors caused by matrix effects and variations in sample preparation. It also allows for accurate determination of low concentrations of a substance in a complex sample.

How is standard addition concentration positive performed?

To perform standard addition concentration positive, known amounts of the substance are added to multiple aliquots of the sample. The resulting concentrations are measured, and a calibration curve is constructed using the known concentrations. The concentration of the substance in the original sample can then be determined from the calibration curve.

What are the advantages of using standard addition concentration positive?

The main advantages of using standard addition concentration positive include the ability to correct for matrix effects and sample preparation variations, as well as the ability to accurately measure low concentrations. It also reduces the need for extensive sample preparation and can be used for samples with complex matrices.

Are there any limitations to standard addition concentration positive?

One limitation of standard addition concentration positive is that it can be time-consuming and requires multiple aliquots of the sample. It also assumes that there are no other interfering substances present in the sample. Additionally, this technique may not be suitable for samples with very high or very low concentrations of the substance of interest.