Stacked magnets with air gaps and the effect on magnetic flux

In summary, the speaker is seeking help for a masters project involving a stack of identical magnets separated by 4mm and producing a magnetic flux of 17.5 gauss at their centers. They are wondering what the total flux would be at the end or at any axial distance, considering the magnets as having zero height and a mild steel core with a relative permeability of 130. They are also inquiring about the use of the Biot-Savart law to solve this problem.
bobsback99
I wasn't sure where to put this so mods feel free to move,
So this is a problem I'm trying to solve for a masters project and simplified it is this;

I essentially have a stack of magnets all separated by 4mm each magnet is identical and produces a magnetic flux of 17.5 gauss at its centre (all there fields are facing the same direction), in this state what will the total flux be at one of the ends or at any axial z distance?

You can treat the magnets as height 0 because in real life they are a series of planar coil electromagnets, and for the sake of simplicity we will say each has its own core but in fact there is 1 mild steel core of relative permeability K = 130.

If anyone knows how to solve this or can give me pointer where to look i would be v grateful.

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to Stacked magnets with air gaps and the effect on magnetic flux

1. What is the purpose of stacking magnets with air gaps?

The purpose of stacking magnets with air gaps is to increase the overall magnetic flux in a system. This can be useful in applications where stronger magnetic fields are needed, such as in motors or generators.

2. How do air gaps affect the magnetic flux in a stacked magnet system?

Air gaps act as barriers to the magnetic flux, causing it to spread out and weaken as it travels through the gaps. This means that the overall magnetic flux in a stacked magnet system may be reduced compared to a system without air gaps.

3. Can air gaps be beneficial in certain applications?

Yes, air gaps can be beneficial in certain applications. For example, in transformers, air gaps can be strategically placed to control the amount of magnetic flux passing through different parts of the system. In this way, air gaps can be used to adjust the voltage or current in a circuit.

4. How do you calculate the effect of air gaps on magnetic flux?

The effect of air gaps on magnetic flux can be calculated using the magnetic circuit analogy. This involves considering the magnetic permeability of the materials in the system, the length and cross-sectional area of the air gaps, and the number and arrangement of the stacked magnets. Various mathematical equations and models can be used to accurately calculate the effect of air gaps on magnetic flux in a given system.

5. Are there any disadvantages to using air gaps in a stacked magnet system?

One potential disadvantage of using air gaps in a stacked magnet system is that they can introduce additional complexity and potential points of failure. If the air gaps are not carefully designed and implemented, they may also result in a weaker overall magnetic field. Additionally, air gaps may increase the cost and size of a system, as more magnets and materials may be needed to achieve the desired magnetic flux.