Stability of a FEM solution to NS equations

In summary, stability is crucial in a FEM solution to the NS equations as it ensures accuracy and reliability. It is achieved through careful selection of numerical methods and mesh parameters. If a solution is unstable, it can lead to inaccurate and non-reflective results. While stability cannot be guaranteed, it can be assessed through methods such as time step refinement and convergence studies.
popiol
I'm looking for a numerical stability and error estimation of a finite element approximation of Navier-Stokes equations (with combustion). I define variables and operators on a domain that has both space and time axes (Ω = Ωs x [0,tmax]), so the transport equation looks generally like this

div ( u [ v; 1 ] - D [ gradsu; 0 ] ) = Q,

where u is either density (of one of the species), velocity, temperature or pressure; v is velocity; D is diffusion coefficient; grads is gradient over the space domain Ωs; and Q is either reaction rate, pressure gradient plus buoyancy force (-gradsp + fb), energy release or 0.

The approximation scheme is

ui = Σj<i ( D ( dij-1 - di.-1) - [ vj; 1 ] . ( xj - xi ) / dij ) wij uj

where ui is a value in the i-th mesh node; dij = ||xj - xi||; di.-1= Σj<i wij / dij; Σj<i wij = 1; and xi is a mesh node in Ω. Mesh nodes are sorted by time, so t(xi) > t(xj) => i > j.

It is a bit difficult to define stability in this case, but the following condition seems reasonable

lim i -> ∞ ( ui - Σj<i uj wij ) = 0,

which implies

lim i -> ∞ D ( dij-1 - di.-1) - [ vj; 1 ] . ( xj - xi ) / dij = 1.

It should also be true that for each j > 0

Σi>j ( D ( dij-1 - di.-1) - [ vj; 1 ] . ( xj - xi ) / dij ) wij = 1

Any idea how to verify those conditions?

Physics news on Phys.org

I would first commend you on your thorough and well-defined approximation scheme. It appears that you have considered all the necessary variables and operators in your transport equation and have taken into account the space and time axes of your domain.

To address your question about numerical stability and error estimation, it is important to first define what we mean by "stability" in this context. In general, stability refers to the ability of a numerical method to produce accurate results in the presence of small perturbations or errors. In the case of finite element approximation of Navier-Stokes equations, stability can refer to both the stability of the scheme itself (i.e. the accuracy of the computed solution) and the stability of the numerical implementation (i.e. the ability of the scheme to handle errors and perturbations).

In order to verify the conditions you have outlined, it would be helpful to perform a stability analysis of your scheme. This involves analyzing the behavior of your scheme as the mesh size and time step are varied. In particular, you will want to investigate how the error in your solution (i.e. the difference between the exact solution and the numerical solution) changes as the mesh size and time step are refined. This will allow you to determine the convergence rate of your scheme and assess its stability.

Another important aspect to consider is the error estimation in your scheme. This involves quantifying the error in your numerical solution and determining its sources. In the case of finite element approximation, the error can arise from various sources such as numerical discretization, truncation error, and round-off error. By understanding the sources of error, you can then take steps to minimize them and improve the accuracy of your solution.

In summary, to verify the conditions you have outlined, I would recommend performing a stability analysis and error estimation of your finite element approximation scheme. This will allow you to determine the convergence rate and stability of your scheme, as well as identify any sources of error that may be affecting the accuracy of your solution.

Related to Stability of a FEM solution to NS equations

1. What is the significance of stability in a FEM solution to the NS equations?

Stability is crucial in a FEM solution to the NS equations because it ensures that the numerical solution is accurate and reliable. A stable solution means that small errors or perturbations in the initial conditions or input parameters will not result in large changes in the solution.

2. How is stability achieved in a FEM solution to the NS equations?

Stability is achieved in a FEM solution to the NS equations through careful selection of numerical methods and mesh parameters. The time step size, spatial discretization, and element size must be chosen appropriately to ensure that the solution remains stable.

3. What happens if a FEM solution to the NS equations is unstable?

If a FEM solution to the NS equations is unstable, it means that the numerical solution is not accurate and may produce results that do not reflect the physical reality of the system. In some cases, the solution may also diverge or become chaotic, making it impossible to obtain meaningful results.

4. Can stability of a FEM solution to the NS equations be guaranteed?

No, stability of a FEM solution to the NS equations cannot be guaranteed for all cases. It depends on the specific problem being solved, the chosen numerical methods, and the parameters used. However, careful selection and testing can greatly increase the chances of obtaining a stable solution.

5. How can one assess the stability of a FEM solution to the NS equations?

Stability can be assessed through various methods such as time step refinement, convergence studies, and eigenvalue analysis. These methods can help identify potential stability issues and guide the selection of appropriate numerical parameters to ensure a stable solution.