SR: Rapidity of two particles in uniform motion

In summary, the two particles A and B have different velocities and meet after a time t as measured by B. The rapidity of B with respect to O is twice the rapidity of A with respect to O.
masudr

Homework Statement

A particle leaves the spatial origin P of O at time [itex]t=0[/itex] and constant velocity. After a time t as measured by O, a second particle B leaves P at a different constant velocity and in pursuit of A. B catches A after proper-time t as measured by B. Show that the rapidity of B with respect to O is twice the rapidity of A with respect to O.

Homework Equations

I assign the coordinates [itex](t', x')[/itex] within this frame (slightly counter-intuitive I know, but the problem has already denoted some variables as unprimed, which I might otherwise want to use). I'm not adept at drawing diagrams in LaTeX, so I won't bother. However, as I envisaged the problem, the worldlines of particles A and B are as follows:

[tex]t'_A(x')=x'/v_A[/tex]
[tex]t'_B(x')=t + x'/v_B[/tex]

I label the event where they meet as [itex](t'_1,x'_1)[/itex]. So we have the equality

[tex]x'_1 \left(\frac{1}{v_A}-\frac{1}{v_B}\right)=t\,\,\,\,\,\,\,(1)[/tex]

We have the fact that the proper-time as measured by the particle B also happens to be t. I could think of two ways to write that:

[tex]t=\gamma_B (t'_1-t)\,\,\,\,\,\,\,(2)[/tex]

and also as (which I think is correct)

[tex]c^2(t'_1-t)^2-x'_1^2=c^2 t^2\,\,\,\,\,\,\,(3)[/tex]

I list some handy rapidity based relations (where the rapidity, [itex]\phi,[/itex] is related to the velocity, v,):

[tex]\beta = \frac{v}{c} = \tanh(\phi)[/tex]
[tex]\gamma = (1-\beta^2)^{-1/2} = \cosh(\phi)[/tex]
[tex]\beta \gamma = \sinh(\phi)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

My method of attack was to use the equation (1) and either (2)/(3) and obtain some relation between the velocities of both particles, which I could then take the artanh of to get the rapidities.

Processing equation (1) gave me

[tex]t=x'_1\left(\frac{v_B - v_A}{v_A v_B}\right).[/tex]

Substituting this into (2) gave me

[tex]\left(\frac{v_B - v_A}{v_A v_B}\right) (1+\gamma_B)=\frac{t'_1}{x'_1}=\frac{1}{v_A}[/tex]

Playing around with fractions ended up giving me

[tex]v_A = v_B \left( \frac{\gamma_B}{1+\gamma_B} \right)[/tex]

Using the definitions/relations regarding rapidity above, I still couldn't get to the answer I wanted, which is

[tex]\phi_B = 2 \phi_A[/tex]

Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks for reading this long question!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You're second to last equation is right. To derive the last one, note that since tanh is one to one, it's equivalent to show tanh(\phi_B)=tanh(2\phi_A), or:

[tex] v_A = \tanh(\phi_A) = \tanh(\phi_B/2) [/tex]

Try rewriting the last term using hyperbolic trig identities.

StatusX:

Thank you for your reply. Huh! The answer was right under my nose, all I needed to do was look up the trig. identities.

This problem was the last part of a question in a previous undergrad. SR paper. How was I meant to know the identity? Is there an obvious route for its derivation? It's just that I'd never seen it before, and so didn't recognise it, even though I came across the expression

[tex]\tanh(\phi_A) = v_A = \frac{\sinh(\phi_B)}{1+\cosh(\phi_B)}[/tex]

I just didn't realize this was equivalent to [itex]\tanh(\phi_B/2)[/itex]

Anyway, many thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

One easy way to work with hyperbolic trig functions is to use the change of variables y=e^x. Then you get, eg, sinh(x)=1/2(y-1/y), and:

[tex] \tanh(x) = \frac{y^2-1}{y^2+1} [/tex]

And since [itex]e^{x/2}=\sqrt{y}[/itex], we get:

[tex] \tanh(x/2) = \frac{y-1}{y+1} = \frac{y^2-1}{(y+1)^2} [/tex]

[tex]= \frac{y-1/y}{y+1/y+2} =\frac{\sinh(x)}{\cosh(x)+1}[/tex]

StatusX said:
One easy way to work with hyperbolic trig functions is to use the change of variables y=e^x.

So it does. Thanks again.

Related to SR: Rapidity of two particles in uniform motion

Q1: What is the definition of rapidity in Special Relativity?

Rapidity is a measure of the rate at which a particle is moving through space, taking into account both its speed and direction. It is defined as the hyperbolic tangent of the particle's velocity divided by the speed of light.

Q2: How does rapidity differ from velocity in Special Relativity?

Rapidity is a more useful measure in Special Relativity because it is additive, meaning that the rapidities of two particles can be added together to determine the combined rapidity. This is not possible with velocities, which follow a different mathematical rule when adding together.

Q3: Why is rapidity important in Special Relativity?

Rapidity is important in Special Relativity because it allows for a more accurate understanding of how particles are moving through space. It takes into account the relativistic effects of time dilation and length contraction, providing a more comprehensive picture of motion at high speeds.

Q4: How does the rapidity of two particles in uniform motion relate to the Lorentz transformation?

The rapidity of two particles in uniform motion is directly related to the Lorentz transformation, which is a set of equations used to transform between different frames of reference in Special Relativity. The rapidity of a particle is used in these equations to calculate its velocity and position in different frames.

Q5: Can the rapidity of a particle ever exceed the speed of light?

No, the rapidity of a particle cannot exceed the speed of light. This is because the rapidity calculation involves taking the hyperbolic tangent of the velocity, and the hyperbolic tangent of any number will always be less than 1. Therefore, the maximum rapidity is 1, which corresponds to the speed of light.