SR Proves Eternalism: Is It Physically Substantial?

In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of time in relation to Special Relativity (SR). It was mentioned that SR does not take time as another dimension of space, but rather has a light-cone structure that encodes information about the worldline of a particle. The question of whether SR proves eternalism, the belief that all events exist in an eternal spacetime manifold, was also raised. It was noted that this is a philosophical question, as there is no experiment that can be performed to answer it. The conversation also touched on the idea of space and time being emergent phenomena in string theory, which could potentially be tested in the future. However, until then, the debate about space and time remains a philosophical question.
guygerst
Does SR enable the passage of time.
Rietdjik(1967)-Putnam(1968)-Penrose-Maxwell and others, claim that SR proves Eternalism.
That is; the world is an eternal (a-temporal) 4-dimensional spacetime manifold in which all events exist and the notion of a moving Now (a global hyper-surface of simultaneous "now events") moving into the future is a psychological illusion.
Is that physically substantial or just philosophically?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
What do you mean by enable"?

In physics time passes from the POV of an observer ... i.e. time depends on your point of view, just like space does.
SR formalism takes time, explicitly, as another dimension of space - so all points on the time axis exist alongside each other in the same way as all points on the three space axes. SR is only as model though - it cannot prove or disprove anything.
Everything apart from that is philosophy.

guygerst said:
Is that physically substantial or just philosophically
The key to answering that question is whether or not, in principle, there is an experiment which could be performed that could answer the question. Since there is no such experiment, the question is philosophical, not scientific.

I am sorry Simon but I am afraid you are wrong on both accounts;
SR formalism specifically does not take time as another dimension of space. Minkowski, Einstein's math teacher and colleague, and the developer of the Geometry of Numbers and of the concept "Spacetime" , devised the first geometrical formulation of SR. You see it in every popular presentation of SR and in many physics textbooks. It has a light-cone structure that is an intrinsic part of SR geometry. This structure encodes (causal) information about the worldline of a particle (or a reference frame) moving in spacetime. The temporal axis is strictly not as the spatial axis ; it is perpendicular to it and represents a different kind of dimension.
To say that SR (a formidable scientific achievement) is only a model, represents a very shallow understanding of science and of it's positivist limitations (theoretical, operational, semantic, pragmatic and so on). SR is proved every single day through SR corrections of time-dilation in GPS satellites. What more (or kind of) proof are you looking for Simon?
And considering your demarcation of physics vs philosophy , whether the world is 3 or 4D i.e., whether all events exist (and the passage of time is an illusion) is a very substantial physical question. At least it was so for Einstein, Lorentz, Minkowski, Weyl, and the others I've mentioned which are mainly philosophers like Putnam (which does not make them less capable than physicists) .
I hope this helps clarify my question.

Likes spacecadet11
Dale I agree completely.
But... Ed Witten and Frank Wilczek both claim that their quantum gravity (string) theories will pretty soon be available for empirical testing .
This could be our observation of actual fundamental space. This is because space is an emergent phenomena in string theory. I am saying that the debate about space and time is not settled or trivial , and that it needs serious analysis which is not strictly philosophical but reaches the core of mathematical theoretical physics.

guygerst said:
Ed Witten and Frank Wilczek both claim that their quantum gravity (string) theories will pretty soon be available for empirical testing
And when that happens, if that happens, then it would become a scientific question (making the rather large assumption that the question would be answerable by tests of string theory). Until that point it remains philosophical.

Thread closed.

Related to SR Proves Eternalism: Is It Physically Substantial?

1. What is SR and how does it prove eternalism?

SR stands for Special Relativity, which is a theory in physics that describes how space and time are relative to the observer's frame of reference. It proves eternalism by showing that time is not absolute and can be experienced differently by different observers, suggesting that all moments in time exist simultaneously.

2. How does SR challenge our traditional understanding of time?

SR challenges our traditional understanding of time by introducing the concept of time dilation, which means that time can appear to move slower or faster depending on the observer's relative speed. This challenges the idea of a universal, constant flow of time.

3. Is there any physical evidence to support SR's claim of eternalism?

Yes, there is physical evidence to support SR's claim of eternalism. The famous Twin Paradox, where one twin travels at near-light speed while the other stays on Earth, has been experimentally proven to result in the traveling twin experiencing less time. This supports the idea of all moments in time existing simultaneously.

4. Are there any alternative theories to explain the same phenomena as SR's eternalism?

Yes, there are alternative theories, such as the Block Universe theory, which also suggests that all moments in time exist simultaneously. However, SR's mathematical equations and experimental evidence make it the most widely accepted theory.

5. How does SR's eternalism impact our perception of free will?

SR's eternalism does not necessarily impact our perception of free will. While it challenges the idea of a linear, unchangeable timeline, it does not necessarily negate the concept of free will. Some argue that the past, present, and future all exist simultaneously, but our actions in the present can still shape the future, allowing for the existence of free will.