SR problem, howd they get here?

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sr
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of an unstable particle at rest breaking into two fragments with given masses and velocity. The question is posed as to what the velocity of the second fragment would be. The conversation then delves into the use of equations and the conservation of relativistic momentum, as well as the simplification of the equation involving the square root and the value of c. The concept of mass defect is also brought up, which refers to the variation in rest mass. The conversation ends with a clarification on the use of c^2 in the equation.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
So the question is basically an unstable particle at rest breaks into 2 fragments.
m1 = 2.50 x 10 ^ -28
m2 = 1.67 x 10 ^ -27
v1= 0.893c

whats v2?

So it gets to a point where they ahve...

yxm2v2+ ((2.50x10^-28kg)/(sqr(1-0.893^2)))(0.893c)=0

Now why is that square root "1-0.893^2" instead of 1-(0.893^2/c^2) ?

Also... this isn't part of the equation but if you add the two masses up to find out what the original particle was, why wouldn't it be m1+m2? Does the extra mass turn into the energy used to send the particles on their way? And how would you calculate that energy used if that is the case.

And what program do you use to use the stupid equations :P

Physics news on Phys.org
So u imposed the conservation of relativistic momentum.I can't follow where did that equation come from and who's "y".As for the square root,i'm sure that "c" was simplified,since u had

[tex] \sqrt{1-\frac{(0.893c)^{2}}{c^{2}}}=\sqrt{1-0.893^{2}} [/tex]

Daniel.

P.S.U can't use that "m_{1}+m_{2}" is conserved,because it isn't.

EDIT:We use LaTex...

Oh crap, yx = y2. But hwo was that c simplified? is that possible?... ohh wait, damn it, now i understand... wait wait no. How can (0.893c)^2/c^2 turn into 1-(0.893)? If you square c, don't you have to square 0.893 too?

And i know that m1+m2 can't be conserved... but where would the extra mass from the initial particle go? Converted to energy?

Pengwuino said:
Oh crap, yx = y2. But hwo was that c simplified? is that possible?... ohh wait, damn it, now i understand... wait wait no. How can (0.893c)^2/c^2 turn into 1-(0.893)? If you square c, don't you have to square 0.893 too?

I did square 0.893.

Pengwuino said:
And i know that m1+m2 can't be conserved... but where would the extra mass from the initial particle go? Converted to energy?

Compute the "mass defect".

Daniel.

How does

[tex] \sqrt{1-\frac{(0.893c)^{2}}{c^{2}}}=\sqrt{1-0.893^{2}} [/tex]

Because wouldn't the c^2 make it different?

Wouldnt it be 0.797?

Why?It's simplified with the one in the denominator.Oh,and the tex tags are
[ tex ] ...[ /tex ] (without the spacings,of course)

Daniel.

Oh nevermind... i just realized the square sign was still there...

So what is this mass defect? How do you calculate it and what is it conceptually?

Well,the total energy is conserved and not the rest energy (which would correspond to rest masses).So by "mass defect" I'm referring to the variation in the rest mass.

Daniel.

what do you mean by variation in the rest mass

[tex] m_{1}+m_{2}-m [/tex],

where "m" is the mass of the decaying particle...Anyway,i hope u got the point with c^{2}...

Daniel.

Related to SR problem, howd they get here?

1. What is the "SR problem"?

The "SR problem" refers to the Fermi Paradox, which asks the question of why, if the universe is so vast and filled with potentially habitable planets, we have not yet encountered any other intelligent life forms.

2. How did the "SR problem" originate?

The "SR problem" was first proposed by physicist Enrico Fermi in the 1950s during a lunchtime discussion with colleagues. They were discussing the possibility of extraterrestrial life and Fermi posed the question, "Where is everybody?" to point out the lack of evidence for the existence of intelligent alien life.

3. What are some theories for the "SR problem"?

There are various theories that attempt to explain the "SR problem." Some suggest that we are alone in the universe, while others propose that alien life exists but is too far away for us to detect. Some theories also suggest that advanced civilizations may have self-destructed before being able to make contact with us.

4. How can we solve the "SR problem"?

Solving the "SR problem" is a complex and ongoing effort. Scientists continue to search for extraterrestrial life through methods such as listening for signals from other planets and searching for evidence of habitable environments. Others argue that we need to broaden our definition of what constitutes intelligent life and be open to alternative forms of communication.

5. What are the implications of the "SR problem"?

The "SR problem" has significant implications for our understanding of the universe and our place within it. It raises questions about the likelihood of finding other intelligent life and the potential challenges and benefits that could come with such a discovery. It also prompts us to consider our responsibility as the only known intelligent species on Earth and how we can better protect our planet and its resources.