SR Inertial Frame Scenario Confusion

In summary, two inertial frames of reference are compared in the case of the twin paradox scenario, where one frame is 'stationary' and the other is moving at 0.9c relative to the first. From the stationary frame, it will take light 100 years to reach a distant object, while in the moving frame, the distance and time are both shorter due to length contraction and time dilation. The traveller will reach the object in 48.43 years from their own frame of reference, while the stationary observer will measure the time taken as 111.11 years due to the combination of length contraction and time dilation.
werewolf
I'm new to the study of SR and GR. I have a question that I have not been able to find any discussion about.

In the case of two frames of reference where we are comparing events from the point of view between a 'stationary frame' (inertial) to an excelerating frame like the twin paradox is the scenario I'm using as a thought excerise.

Say the excelerating frame is approaching the speed of light, like 90%. Then the traveller shines a flashlight toward a mass in the distance that is in the same frame as the inertial frame. If the distance to the object is for example 100 light years away, then it will take the light 100 years to reach that object.

Now, since the traveller is going .9/speed light, it stands to reason that the traveller will reach the object in 90 light years from the travellers frame of reference.

My question is, what would the observer in the stationary frame see relative to the traveller? i.e. the observer would measure the speed of light as 186,000 mi sec and the traveller at 167,400 mi sec, but would the observer see the traveller arrive after 9 years? That would not seem to be the case based on time dilation and length contraction so I'm a little confused here.

Any help with the math to calculate this and explanations would be greatly appreciated.

Please help me correct any inaccurate terminology if you would. Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome, Werewolf.

By 'excelerating' frame do you mean an inertial frame traveling at 0.9c wrt to some other oberver whom we call stationary ? The rules of SR would be tricky to apply if the traveling observer was accelerating all the time.

the observer would measure the speed of light as 186,000 mi sec and the traveller at 167,400 mi sec
The speed of light won't change for different observers. How do they measure the speed of light ?

werewolf said:
In the case of two inertial frames of reference where we are comparing events from the point of view between a 'stationary frame' to an excelerating frame like the twin paradox is the scenario I'm using as a thought excerise.
Actually the definition of "inertial" frame is that it's not accelerating...from the perspective of an inertial frame, any other inertial frame will be moving at constant speed in a straight line, whereas accelerations always involve either changes in speed or direction (which result in G-forces experienced by the accelerating observer, like the 'centrifugal force' you feel when moving in a circle).
werewolf said:
Say the excelerating frame is approaching the speed of light, like 90%.
Let's just say that the second frame is moving at a constant velocity of 0.9c relative to the first, all right? And one thing to point out is that there's no such thing as absolute velocity in relativity, only relative velocity--the second frame isn't moving at 0.9c in any absolute sense, it's just moving at 0.9c from the perspective of an observer at rest in the first frame, while that observer will be moving at 0.9c from the perspective of an observer at rest in the second frame.
werewolf said:
Then the traveller shines a flashlight toward a mass in the distance that is in the same inertial frame as the stationary frame. If the distance to the object is for example 100 light years away, then it will take the light 100 years to reach that object.
Different inertial frames measure distances and times differently. If the object is 100 light years away from the Earth in the first frame which you are labeling the "stationary" one (although as I said 'stationary' has no absolute meaning, the traveller is stationary in his own rest frame), and the traveller shines the light at the moment he passes the Earth, then then according to clocks at rest in this first frame, it will take light 100 years to get from the traveller to the distant object. However, in the second frame where the traveller is at rest, the distance from the Earth to the destination is shorter due to length contraction, so the time is shorter too.
werewolf said:
Now, since the traveller is going .9/speed light, it stands to reason that the traveller will reach the object in 90 light years from the travellers frame of reference.
90% the speed of light is 0.9 * c, not 0.9/c. And since speed = distance/time, that means the time to cross a certain distance is distance/speed, not distance*speed as you seem to have assumed, so in the first frame of reference the time for the traveler to reach the destination is (100 light years)/(0.9 light years/year) = 111.11... years, not 90 years. However, in this frame it also appears that the traveler's clock is slowed down by a factor of [tex]\sqrt{1 - 0.9^2}[/tex] = 0.43589, so in the 111.11... years it takes for the traveler to reach the destination in this frame, the traveller's clock only ticks forward by 111.11... * 0.43589 = 48.43 years. And this makes sense in the traveller's frame too...as I said, the distance from Earth to the destination is shrunk in this frame due to length contraction, by the same factor of 0.43589, so the distance from Earth to the destination is only 100 * 0.43589 = 43.589 light-years in the traveller's rest frame. And in this second frame the traveller is at rest while the destination approaches at 0.9c, so the destination will take 43.589/0.9 = 48.43 years to reach the traveller, the same number I got above looking at things from the perspective of the first frame.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses. I'm going to digest this information and may have some more questions for you guys.

I'm really surprised at how much I'm liking physics; esp. SR and GR. I'm actually a little obsessed! But it is a good obsession. Like a drug actually.

Thansk again.

Related to SR Inertial Frame Scenario Confusion

1. What is an inertial frame in the context of Special Relativity?

An inertial frame in Special Relativity refers to a frame of reference that is not accelerating or rotating. In other words, it is a frame of reference where the laws of physics hold true and objects move in a straight line with constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. This is a key concept in understanding the principles of Special Relativity.

2. How does an inertial frame differ from a non-inertial frame?

A non-inertial frame is one that is accelerating or rotating, which causes the laws of physics to appear different than in an inertial frame. In a non-inertial frame, objects may appear to be accelerating or moving in curved paths, even if no external forces are acting on them. This can lead to confusion in understanding the effects of Special Relativity.

3. Can an inertial frame be identified by an observer?

Yes, an observer can identify an inertial frame by observing the motion of objects in that frame. In an inertial frame, objects will appear to move in a straight line with constant velocity, while in a non-inertial frame, objects will appear to be accelerating or moving in curved paths.

4. How does the concept of an inertial frame relate to the Twin Paradox?

The Twin Paradox is a thought experiment in Special Relativity that involves one twin traveling at high speeds through space and the other twin staying on Earth. When the traveling twin returns to Earth, they will have aged less than the twin who stayed on Earth. This paradox can be resolved by understanding that the traveling twin was in a non-inertial frame, while the twin on Earth was in an inertial frame.

5. Why is it important to understand inertial frames in the context of Special Relativity?

Understanding inertial frames is crucial in understanding the principles of Special Relativity and how they affect our understanding of time, space, and motion. It helps us to make sense of seemingly paradoxical situations, such as the Twin Paradox, and allows us to accurately describe and predict the behavior of objects in different frames of reference, which is essential in many areas of physics and engineering.