Squeeze Theorem Limit

In summary, using the squeeze theorem, we can determine that the limit of (cos^2(t))/(t^2+1) as t approaches infinity does not exist. This is because when t is large, the values of cos^2(t) will be squeezed between 0 and 1, resulting in a limit of 0. However, this does not provide enough information to determine the overall limit of the function, as the values of t^2+1 will continue to increase without bound.
462chevelle
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Lim (cos^2(t))/(t^2+1)
t->∞

Homework Equations

squeeze theorem -1<=Cosx<=1

The Attempt at a Solution

I have
-1<=Cos(t)<=1
(-1)^2<=Cos^2(t)<=(1)^2
(1)/(t^2+1)<=(Cos^2(t))/(t^2+1)<=(1)/(t^2+1)
I took both of limits of the 2 outsides as t->0
i got -1 and 1. so the limit should not exist. But i think this is incorrect. Any hints on what I am doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
no wonder. am i supposed to take both sides limits at infinity instead of zero?

Uhh, yes, the problem says "[itex]t\to \infty[/itex]", not 0. But you don't want to say "[itex]-1\le cos(t)\le 1[/itex] therefore [itex]1\le cos(t)\le 1[/itex]"! If x is somewhere between -1 and 1 then [itex]x^2[/itex] is somewhere between 0 and 1, NOT "between 1 and 1"! Draw a graph of [itex]y= x^2[/itex] for [itex]-1\le x\le 1[/itex] to see that.

oh, ok. so when i put cos like
-1<=Cos(t)<=1 i should start out like
-1<=cos^2(t)<=1.
that way i don't have to square the cos then get from 1<cos<1

so there i get the limit of each is 0 so the limit of the entire function must be 0

Better is 0<= cos^2(t)<= 1 like I said.

HallsofIvy said:
Better is 0<= cos^2(t)<= 1 like I said.

ooh sorry, i forgot the range of cos^2(t) was 0 to 1

Related to Squeeze Theorem Limit

What is the Squeeze Theorem Limit?

The Squeeze Theorem Limit is a mathematical concept used to evaluate the limit of a function at a specific point. It is also known as the Sandwich Theorem or the Pinching Theorem.

How does the Squeeze Theorem Limit work?

The Squeeze Theorem Limit states that if two functions, g(x) and h(x), are both approaching the same limit as x approaches a certain value, and another function, f(x), is squeezed between them, then f(x) must also approach the same limit.

What is the importance of the Squeeze Theorem Limit in mathematics?

The Squeeze Theorem Limit is important in mathematics because it provides a useful tool for evaluating limits of functions that may be difficult or impossible to find using other methods. It also helps to prove the existence of limits and continuity of functions.

Can the Squeeze Theorem Limit be used for all functions?

No, the Squeeze Theorem Limit can only be used for functions that are squeezed between two other functions. Additionally, the functions must all approach the same limit as x approaches a certain value.

What are some real-life applications of the Squeeze Theorem Limit?

The Squeeze Theorem Limit can be applied in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, it can be used to find the maximum or minimum values of a function, or to determine the behavior of a system as it approaches a certain limit.