Square of x component of Orbital Angular momentum?

Remember to use the product rule for derivatives and be careful with the order of operations. I hope this helps! In summary, the problem involves solving for ##L^2_x## by squaring the operator ##L_x = \frac{\hbar}{i} (-sin(\phi)\frac{d}{d\theta} - cos(\phi)cot(\theta)\frac{d}{d\phi})##. This requires using the product rule for derivatives and remembering to act on the functions appearing in the operator as well.
d3nat

Homework Statement

Solve for ##L^2_x##
##L_x = \frac{\hbar}{i} (-sin(\phi)\frac{d}{d\theta} - cos(\phi)cot(\theta)\frac{d}{d\phi}##** the d's should be partial derivatives, but I'm not sure how to do that symbol. Sorry!

Homework Equations

Solve for ##L^2_x##
##L_x = \frac{\hbar}{i} (-sin(\phi)\frac{d}{d\theta} - cos(\phi)cot(\theta)\frac{d}{d\phi}##** the d's should be partial derivatives, but I'm not sure how to do that symbol. Sorry!

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm trying to square everything
But can I square partial derivatives? Is that the same thing as a second derivative?

so ##-\hbar^2 \Big( sin^2(\phi)\frac{d^2}{d^2\theta} + cos^2(\phi)cot^2(\theta)\frac{d^2}{d^2\phi} +sin(\phi)\frac{d}{d\theta}(cos(\phi)cot(\theta)\frac{d}{d\phi}) +cos(\phi)cot(\theta)\frac{d}{d\phi}(sin(\phi)\frac{d}{d\theta}) \Big)##

Can I take a partial derivative of a partial derivative?
I'm so stumped. Can't seem to find any explanations online. Help please?

[EDIT:]

Is this the simplest form?

##-\hbar^2 \Big( sin^2(\phi)\frac{d^2}{d^2\theta} + cos^2(\phi)cot^2(\theta)\frac{d^2}{d^2\phi} -sin^2(\phi)cos(\phi)cot(\theta)\frac{d}{d\phi}+cos^2(phi)cot(\theta)\frac{d}{d\theta}##

I still don't think this is right.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This can be tricky when you come across it for the first time. The problem is that the derivatives also act on the functions appearing in the operator, so it can be useful to put in an arbitrary placeholder function to help remember how to apply the product rule for derivatives. For example, suppose we have

$$ \hat{T} = \sin x \frac{d}{dx}.$$

Then to compute ##\hat{T}^2##, we act on a function ##F(x)##:

$$ \hat{T}^2 F(x) = \sin x \frac{d}{dx}\left( \sin x \frac{dF(x)}{dx} \right) = \sin x \left(\frac{d}{dx} \sin x\right) \frac{dF(x)}{dx} + \sin^2 x \frac{d^2F(x)}{dx^2} .$$

Completing the algebra and removing the placeholder function, we'll find that

$$ \hat{T}^2 = \sin^2 x \frac{d^2}{dx^2} + \sin x \cos x \frac{d}{dx} .$$

Your example is a bit more complicated, but hopefully this gives you an idea of how to proceed.

Related to Square of x component of Orbital Angular momentum?

What is the square of the x component of Orbital Angular Momentum?

The square of the x component of Orbital Angular Momentum is a mathematical calculation that represents the magnitude of the x component of the orbital angular momentum vector. It is often used in quantum mechanics to describe the angular momentum of a particle in a three-dimensional space.

How is the square of the x component of Orbital Angular Momentum calculated?

The square of the x component of Orbital Angular Momentum is calculated by taking the square of the x component of the orbital angular momentum vector. This can be represented as (Lx)^2, where Lx is the x component of the orbital angular momentum vector.

What is the significance of the square of the x component of Orbital Angular Momentum?

The square of the x component of Orbital Angular Momentum is significant because it represents the square of the magnitude of the x component of the orbital angular momentum vector. This value is often used in calculations and equations in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of particles in a three-dimensional space.

How does the square of the x component of Orbital Angular Momentum relate to other properties of a particle?

The square of the x component of Orbital Angular Momentum is related to other properties of a particle, such as its energy and position. This is because the magnitude of the orbital angular momentum vector is related to the energy of the particle, and the direction of the x component can give information about the position of the particle in a three-dimensional space.

What are the units of the square of the x component of Orbital Angular Momentum?

The units of the square of the x component of Orbital Angular Momentum depend on the units used for the x component of the orbital angular momentum vector. However, in most cases, the units will be in kilogram-meter squared per second squared (kg·m^2/s^2).