Square matrix where the coefficients of the diagonal are 1

In summary, the speaker has a square matrix with a diagonal of 1s and very small coefficients. The determinant of this matrix will always be one, but since the coefficients are functions of a variable, the determinant will also be a function of that variable. The speaker needs to find the roots of this function, but because the diagonal is made of 1s and the other coefficients are very small, the function will be constant and equal to 1. The speaker has tried to normalize the coefficients, but they are still too small. The size of the matrix is not specified, but the speaker may be using numbers that are too small for their computer to handle.
ario
Hallo everybody.
I have a square matrix where the coefficients of the diagonal are 1, while the others are very small (say 10^-6). Of course the determinant of this matrix will be always one.
This is my problem:
the coefficients are functions of a variable (w, complex variable). So, the determinant of the matrix will be a function of w. I need to find the solutions, the roots w of this function (the determinant=0), but since the diagonal is made of 1 and the other coeffs are very small, this function will be constant and equal to 1.
How can I avoid this problem...extracting the diagonal...
I tried to normalize the other small coefficients using new variables but they still are very small.
Thank you for your help,
Ario

Physics news on Phys.org
Being small in abs value and being zero aren't the same thing. also what is the size of the matrix? if it is a 10**6 by 10**6 matrix then the small entries may contribute significantly to the determinant. other than this it appears you're just using numbers that are too small for your computer to handle.

Hi Ario,

Thank you for sharing your problem with us. It seems like you are trying to solve for the roots of a function that is constant and equal to 1. In this case, there are no solutions since the function is always equal to 1, regardless of the value of w.

One way to avoid this problem is to take a closer look at the matrix and its coefficients. Is there a specific pattern or structure to the coefficients that can help you determine the roots? Can you use any other methods or techniques to solve for the roots instead of relying on the determinant? Additionally, if the matrix is large, you can try using a computer program or calculator to help you find the roots more efficiently.

I hope this helps and good luck with your problem-solving!

Related to Square matrix where the coefficients of the diagonal are 1

1. What are coefficients of a matrix?

Coefficients of a matrix are the numerical values that represent the elements of a matrix. They can be real numbers, complex numbers, or even variables.

2. How are coefficients of a matrix used in linear algebra?

In linear algebra, coefficients of a matrix are used to perform various operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. They also play a crucial role in solving systems of linear equations and finding the inverse of a matrix.

3. What is the difference between a coefficient and an element in a matrix?

A coefficient is a numerical value that represents an element in a matrix, while an element is a specific entry in the matrix. Coefficients are used to perform operations on matrices, while elements are the actual values in the matrix.

4. How are coefficients of a matrix determined?

The coefficients of a matrix are determined by the position of the element within the matrix. For example, the coefficient in the first row and first column of a matrix would be represented as a11, while the coefficient in the second row and third column would be represented as a23.

5. Are coefficients of a matrix always numbers?

No, coefficients of a matrix can also be variables. In this case, the matrix is known as a symbolic matrix and is often used in algebraic manipulations and solving equations with unknown variables.