Spring mass on a rotating disc

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a horizontal disc with vibrating mass and springs. The mass only moves horizontally and the disc's mass is neglected. The equations used to solve the problem include Lagrange equations and D'alembert principle. The person has uploaded a figure and their attempt at a solution, but is having trouble with the d'alembert equation and the coriolis component of acceleration. They are seeking an explanation for their mistake and guidance on how to apply the equation in the problem.
MechE

Homework Statement

I uploaded a figure demonstrating the problem
WP_20151101_001.jpg

w and i are constants and disc is horizontal. Disc mass is neglected. Vibrating mass only moves along the direction of springs -only horizontally at this position-
http://[url=http://postimg.org/image/yxuleosq1/][ATTACH=full]199958[/ATTACH]
[h2]Homework Equations[/h2]
Lagrange equations
D'alembert principle

[h2]The Attempt at a Solution[/h2]
Again, i uploaded my attempt at the solution.

[ATTACH=full]199959[/ATTACH]

I think i have a problem with d'alembert equation. Also i am confused about coriolis component of acceleration.

Attachments

• url].jpg
    url].jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 154
  • WP_20151101_004.jpg
    WP_20151101_004.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 170
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
i wrote it according to the book but dont know how to apply it in this problem. So can you please explain me where i made mistake and what is wrong with my solution?

Related to Spring mass on a rotating disc

1. What is the purpose of studying the spring mass on a rotating disc?

The study of the spring mass on a rotating disc allows us to understand the behavior of objects in circular motion and how external forces, such as centripetal force, affect their motion.

2. How does the mass of the spring affect its motion on a rotating disc?

The mass of the spring affects its motion on a rotating disc by changing the amount of force required to maintain its circular motion. A heavier mass will require a greater centripetal force to keep it moving in a circular path.

3. What is the role of the spring in this experiment?

The spring serves as the connecting element between the mass and the rotating disc. It also acts as a restoring force, pulling the mass back towards its equilibrium position as it moves in a circular motion.

4. How does the rotation speed of the disc impact the motion of the spring mass?

The rotation speed of the disc affects the amount of centripetal force acting on the mass, which in turn affects the amplitude and frequency of the spring mass's oscillations. A higher rotation speed will result in a greater centripetal force and therefore a larger amplitude of oscillations.

5. What are some real-world applications of studying the spring mass on a rotating disc?

The study of the spring mass on a rotating disc has various applications, such as understanding the motion of objects in circular motion, designing amusement park rides, and analyzing the behavior of satellites in orbit around a rotating planet.