Spring energy to rotational energy

In summary: You are substituting time for reduced force necessary to compress the spring. In the end the work done is the same.My guess is that it would end up less efficient than a regular bicycle. A straight chain drive is fairly efficient, and some kind of a spring setup would probably end up with the rider expending more energy for the same final result (as compared to the straight chain drive).Hmmm, alright guys, thanks! I will take that into consideration, feel free to give your suggestions here...its most appreciated!
0904919H
How do i convert spring energy to rotational energy? I am building a 'green device' that allows a bicycle to move forward using stored energy (compressed spring energy). So i am figuring out how do i change the spring energy stored to rotational energy so that th bike will be able to propel forward.

Appreciate if you guys help! Thx!

Physics news on Phys.org
How is this a "green device"? What kind of energy is used to compress the spring initially?

Regarding the conversion to rotation motion, the mechanism in a spring toy can do this.

It's something like a bicycle, just that you don't have to pedal as much to move a longer distance. As u press down the pedal, it compresses the spring storing the energy until you release the pedal, there will be two of these of course, meaning two pedals. It's a green concept though, but if you have any good ideas to improvise this design i would appreciate your help!

Thanks!

0904919H said:
It's something like a bicycle, just that you don't have to pedal as much to move a longer distance. As u press down the pedal, it compresses the spring storing the energy until you release the pedal, there will be two of these of course, meaning two pedals. It's a green concept though, but if you have any good ideas to improvise this design i would appreciate your help!

Thanks!

You realize that it will take extra energy from the rider to compress the spring to begin with right? I don't see how this will be easier than just riding a bike. Care to elaborate?

yea, you're not gaining anything with that kind of design.

I'm thinking like have a bigger gear turn a smaller gear when u compress the spring, so that the force will lessen, also thinking of ways to lessen the force used so that u can travel a longer distance...still have to think 'green'. Do you guys have any ideas that i might be able to implement?

0904919H said:
I'm thinking like have a bigger gear turn a smaller gear when u compress the spring, so that the force will lessen, also thinking of ways to lessen the force used so that u can travel a longer distance...still have to think 'green'. Do you guys have any ideas that i might be able to implement?

You are substituting time for reduced force necessary to compress the spring. In the end the work done is the same.

My guess is that it would end up less efficient than a regular bicycle. A straight chain drive is fairly efficient, and some kind of a spring setup would probably end up with the rider expending more energy for the same final result (as compared to the straight chain drive).

Hmmm, alright guys, thanks! I will take that into consideration, feel free to give your suggestions here...its most appreciated!

Related to Spring energy to rotational energy

1. How does a spring store energy?

A spring stores potential energy when it is stretched or compressed. This potential energy is stored in the bonds between the atoms in the spring, which are under tension or compression. When the spring is released, this potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, causing the spring to move and do work.

2. How is rotational energy related to spring energy?

When a spring is attached to a rotating object, such as a wheel, and released, the potential energy stored in the spring is converted into rotational energy. This is because the movement of the spring causes the wheel to rotate, and the energy is transferred from the spring to the rotating object.

3. What factors affect the amount of rotational energy produced by a spring?

The amount of rotational energy produced by a spring depends on the amount of potential energy stored in the spring, which is determined by the spring constant and the distance it is compressed or stretched. The mass and shape of the rotating object also play a role in how much energy is transferred from the spring to the object.

4. Can the amount of rotational energy produced by a spring be calculated?

Yes, the amount of rotational energy produced by a spring can be calculated using the formula: E = 1/2 * K * x^2, where E is the rotational energy, K is the spring constant, and x is the distance the spring is compressed or stretched. This formula applies to ideal springs with no friction or losses.

5. How is spring energy used in real-world applications?

Spring energy is used in various real-world applications, such as in clocks and watches, where a coiled spring provides the energy to make the hands move. It is also used in vehicles, such as cars and bikes, in the suspension system to absorb and convert energy from bumps in the road. Springs are also used in toys, tools, and many other mechanical devices.