Sports Car Acceleration Question

In summary, the sports car initially traveled at a speed of 22m/s and came to a stop in 4.0s. Using the kinematic equation v=u+at, the acceleration was calculated to be -5.5m/s^2 or -0.56 g's.
Adrianna

Homework Statement

A sports car moving at constant speed travels 110m in 5.0s. If it then brakes and comes to a stop in 4.0s. what is its acceleration in m/s^2? Express the answer in terms of "g's." where 1.00 g = 9.80 m/s^2.

Homework Equations

I thought about using the equation a=v/t

The Attempt at a Solution

So I tried it sort of I am just sort of lost I am not really sure how to start...

Physics news on Phys.org
Adrianna said:

Homework Equations

I thought about using the equation a=v/t

You need to use the kinematic equations

v=u+at

v2=u2+2as

s=ut+1/2at2

Which one do you think you will have to use?

What does the u stand for, that's not in my book?

The car initially had a velocity of 110m/5s (22m/s) and came to a stop (0m/s) in 4.0s. The acceleration is the change in velocity over a time interval.

So would we use the v=u+at since I have the 4.0s and the 22m/s? but what would go in for the u?

u is initial velocity and v is final velocity.

Okay I figured it out thanks so much the answer was -5.5 m/s^2 and then in g's it was -0.56 g's

take u (initial speed) = 110 / 5 = 22m/s
v = 0
t = 4

v = u + at
0 = 22 + 4a
4a = -22
a = -5.5m/s^2
a = (-5.5/9.8)g = -0.56g

Related to Sports Car Acceleration Question

1. What factors affect a sports car's acceleration?

The main factors that affect a sports car's acceleration are its horsepower, torque, weight, and aerodynamics. The more horsepower and torque a car has, the faster it can accelerate. A lighter car will also have a better power-to-weight ratio, allowing it to accelerate quicker. Aerodynamics can also play a role in reducing drag and improving acceleration.

2. How does a sports car's transmission impact its acceleration?

The type of transmission a sports car has can greatly impact its acceleration. Manual transmissions allow for more control over gear shifts, which can result in faster acceleration. Automatic transmissions, on the other hand, can shift gears more quickly and efficiently, allowing for smoother acceleration.

3. What is the difference between 0-60 mph and 0-100 km/h acceleration times?

The main difference between 0-60 mph and 0-100 km/h acceleration times is the unit of measurement. 0-60 mph measures the time it takes for a car to reach 60 miles per hour, while 0-100 km/h measures the time it takes for a car to reach 100 kilometers per hour. 1 mile is equivalent to 1.6 kilometers, so 0-100 km/h acceleration times will typically be slightly longer than 0-60 mph times.

4. How do different road conditions affect a sports car's acceleration?

Road conditions can greatly affect a sports car's acceleration. A car will accelerate faster on a dry, smooth road compared to a wet or rough road. Additionally, factors such as elevation, temperature, and traction can also impact a car's acceleration.

5. Can a sports car's acceleration be improved?

Yes, a sports car's acceleration can be improved through various means. Upgrading the engine, transmission, and aerodynamics can all help to increase a car's acceleration. Additionally, proper maintenance and tuning can also make a difference in a car's acceleration. However, it's important to note that every car has its limitations and cannot be significantly improved beyond its capabilities.