Spherically Symmetric charge distribution

In summary, the total charge Q is finite for values of n that make the integral ∫1/rn-2 dr converge, which is from r0 to infinity. To compute the total charge, use the formula Q(r>r0) = 4πρ0r0n∫r2/rn dr.
TheWire247
I am currently doing a past paper question for my electromagnetism exam and I can't seem to figure out this problem, it is probably quite simple but I can't see a solution

Homework Statement

Consider a spherically symmetric charge distribution:

ρ(r) = ρ0(r/r0)-n for r>r0

ρ(r) = ρ0 for r≤r0

where ρ0, r0 and n are constants and r = |r|

i) For which values of n is the total charge Q finite? compute the total charge for these values

Homework Equations

As above in the question

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to start

Physics news on Phys.org
The total charge is finite if the charge for r>r0 is finite.

That charge is given by Q(r>r0) = ∫ρ(r) dV = 4π∫ρ(r)r2 dr = 4πρ0r0n∫r2/rn dr

Now you need to know for which values of n does the integral ∫1/rn-2 dr converges. (The integral being taken from r0 to infinity, obviously).

Related to Spherically Symmetric charge distribution

1. What is spherically symmetric charge distribution?

Spherically symmetric charge distribution is a type of charge distribution where the charge is evenly distributed on the surface of a sphere. This means that the electric field and potential created by the charge distribution are the same at any point on the sphere's surface.

2. How is spherically symmetric charge distribution different from other types of charge distributions?

Spherically symmetric charge distribution differs from other types of charge distributions, such as point charges or non-spherical distributions, in that the charge is evenly distributed on the surface of a sphere rather than concentrated at a specific point or distributed unevenly.

3. What is the mathematical expression for the electric field of a spherically symmetric charge distribution?

The mathematical expression for the electric field of a spherically symmetric charge distribution is given by E = keQ/r2, where ke is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the total charge of the distribution, and r is the distance from the center of the sphere to the point where the electric field is being measured.

4. How does the electric potential of a spherically symmetric charge distribution vary with distance?

The electric potential of a spherically symmetric charge distribution varies with distance according to V = keQ/r. This means that the potential decreases as the distance from the center of the sphere increases, following an inverse relationship.

5. Can a spherically symmetric charge distribution exist in real life?

While it is possible to create a spherically symmetric charge distribution in theory, it is difficult to achieve in real life. This is because it would require an infinite amount of charge, which is not physically possible. However, spherically symmetric charge distributions can be approximated by arranging a large number of smaller charges in a spherical pattern.