Spherical harmonics, angular momentum, quantum

In summary, the conversation discusses constructing matrices for the spherical harmonics Y(l,m) with given values of l and m. The action of Lz on these harmonics is shown, and it is suggested to use a specific basis to confirm the matrix representation of Lz. The other generators Lx and Ly are also mentioned, with the suggestion to rewrite them in terms of the chosen basis to obtain their matrix representations.
Chronos000

Homework Statement

I have to construct 3, 3X3 matrices for Lz, Lx, Ly for the spherical harmonics Y(l,m) given l=1 and m = 1,0,-1

So I can determine the relevant harmonics for these values of l and m.

I act with Lz on Y to get

L Y(1,0) = 0

L Y(1,1) = hbar Y(1,1)

L Y(1,-1) = -hbar Y(1,-1)

I'm not sure what to do with this however

Physics news on Phys.org
If you choose the basis

[tex] Y(1,1) = \begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 0 \\ 0\end{pmatrix}, ~ Y(1,0) = \begin{pmatrix} 0 \\ 1 \\ 0\end{pmatrix},~ Y(1,-1) = \begin{pmatrix} 0 \\ 0 \\ 1\end{pmatrix},[/tex]

then you should be able to confirm that you've shown that

[tex] L_z = \begin{pmatrix} \hbar & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0& 0 & -\hbar \end{pmatrix}.[/tex]

You need to work out the action of [tex]L_x[/tex] and [tex]L_y[/tex] and rewrite them in terms of the basis vectors above. This will give you the matrix representations of the other generators.

so can I choose whatever basis I want? Y(1,1) could be (0,1,0)?

Do these vectors make up the vertical components of the matrix?

Chronos000 said:
so can I choose whatever basis I want? Y(1,1) could be (0,1,0)?

You could choose another basis. The one I suggested is particularly nice if you ever work with the ladder operators

[tex]L_\pm = L_x \pm i L_y[/tex]

Do these vectors make up the vertical components of the matrix?

The way to see the matrix is to write, say

[tex] L_z Y(1,1) = m_{11} Y(1,1) + m_{12} Y(1,0) + m_{13} Y(1,-1)[/tex]

[tex] L_z Y(1,0) = m_{21} Y(1,1) + m_{22} Y(1,0) + m_{23} Y(1,-1)[/tex]

[tex] L_z Y(1,-1) = m_{31} Y(1,1) + m_{32} Y(1,0) + m_{33} Y(1,-1)[/tex]

Then the coefficients [tex]m_{ij}[/tex] are the entries of the corresponding matrix. You should be able to do this for the other components.

I would suggest breaking down the problem into smaller steps and utilizing known equations and principles to construct the matrices. First, it is important to understand the concept of spherical harmonics, which are mathematical functions used to describe the behavior of waves on a spherical surface. Next, we can use the equations for angular momentum and quantum numbers to determine the values for Lx, Ly, and Lz for the given values of l and m. From there, we can construct the matrices by using the appropriate mathematical operations and principles. Additionally, it may be helpful to consult with other scientists or resources to ensure the accuracy and completeness of the matrices.

Related to Spherical harmonics, angular momentum, quantum

What are spherical harmonics?

Spherical harmonics are mathematical functions that describe the angular dependence of a three-dimensional system. They are commonly used in fields such as physics, mathematics, and engineering to represent spherical symmetry and to solve problems involving spherical objects or systems.

What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a physical quantity that describes the rotational motion of an object or system. It is a vector quantity that is determined by the mass, velocity, and distance from the axis of rotation of an object. In quantum mechanics, angular momentum is quantized and can only take on certain discrete values.

How do spherical harmonics relate to angular momentum?

In quantum mechanics, the spherical harmonics are the eigenfunctions of the angular momentum operator. This means that they represent the possible states of a system with a given angular momentum. The different shapes and orientations of the spherical harmonics correspond to different values of angular momentum.

What is the significance of quantum in relation to these concepts?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that describes the behavior of particles at a microscopic level. It is essential in understanding the behavior of particles with spin, such as electrons, which have intrinsic angular momentum. Spherical harmonics and angular momentum are important concepts in quantum mechanics and are used to describe the properties of particles and their interactions.

How are spherical harmonics and angular momentum used in practical applications?

Spherical harmonics and angular momentum have numerous applications in fields such as quantum chemistry, spectroscopy, and nuclear physics. They are used to analyze and predict the behavior of particles and systems, as well as to solve problems involving spherical symmetry, such as the behavior of atoms and molecules. They are also used in computer graphics to create realistic 3D models of objects and scenes.