Spherical coordinates - phi vs theta

In summary, the textbook is correct that the graph of ##\rho = c## is a half plane, but the graph of ##\phi = c## is a half cone. This is due to the different angles at which ##r## and ##\theta## are varied.
Calpalned

Homework Statement

My textbook states that when ##\theta = c ## where c is the constant angle with respect to the x-axis, the graph is a "half-plane". However, when ##\phi = c ## it is a half-cone. The only difference I see is that ##\phi## is the angle with respect to the z-axis, rather than the x-axis. Why is it that one ends up being a cone and the other a plane?

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

That is the only part I don't understand. It is clear how ##\rho = c ## is a sphere, but why are ##\phi## and ##\theta## so different?

Physics news on Phys.org
Calpalned said:

Homework Statement

My textbook states that when ##\theta = c ## where c is the constant angle with respect to the x-axis, the graph is a "half-plane". However, when ##\phi = c ## it is a half-cone. The only difference I see is that ##\phi## is the angle with respect to the z-axis, rather than the x-axis. Why is it that one ends up being a cone and the other a plane?

Homework Equations

n/a

That is the only part I don't understand. It is clear how ##\rho = c ## is a sphere, but why are ##\phi## and ##\theta## so different?

Look at the geometry. If you pick a point where ##\theta = c## and vary ##r>0## and ##\phi## do you see why you get a half plane? Now pick a point where ##\phi = c##. What happens to that point as you vary ##\theta##? When you very ##r##? It might help to be looking at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spherical_coordinate_system when you answer. Use the second picture there as it has the usual notation used in math.

Calpalned said:

Homework Statement

My textbook states that when ##\theta = c ## where c is the constant angle with respect to the x-axis, the graph is a "half-plane". However, when ##\phi = c ## it is a half-cone. The only difference I see is that ##\phi## is the angle with respect to the z-axis, rather than the x-axis.
You are mistaken. For one thing, [itex]\theta[/itex] can range from 0 to [itex]2\pi[/itex] while [itex]\phi[/itex] only ranges from 0 to [itex]\pi[/itex]. Do you see why that is true?
("Mathematics notation" and "physics notation" reverse [itex]\theta[/itex] and [itex]\phi[/itex]. I am assuming that you are using "mathematics notation".)

Why is it that one ends up being a cone and the other a plane?

Homework Equations

n/a

How about some physical experience ?

Stand up straight and lift one arm straight up. Let the direction your feet are pointing in represent ##\theta## and the angle your arm makes with the vertical when you lower it represent ##\phi## ("math notation" - I didn't know it existed). Fortunately they have r in common :smile: imagine a very long arm...

Moving your arm up and down (##[0,\pi]##) with feet fixed defines a half plane.
And rotating on your feet (##[0,2\pi]##) with arm angle fixed gives you the cone. (I take it the mistake Ivy refers to is that it's a cone surface, not half a cone).

And now I will revert to "physics notation" in order not to confuse myself :wink: -- after all this is PF and not MF !

Related to Spherical coordinates - phi vs theta

1. What are spherical coordinates?

Spherical coordinates are a system of coordinates used to locate points in three-dimensional space. They are based on a sphere, with the center of the sphere as the origin and three perpendicular axes known as radial, azimuthal and polar axes.

2. What is the difference between phi and theta in spherical coordinates?

In spherical coordinates, phi (φ) represents the angle from the positive z-axis to the point's projection on the xy-plane. Theta (θ) represents the angle from the positive x-axis to the point's projection on the yz-plane.

3. How are phi and theta related in spherical coordinates?

Phi and theta are complementary angles, meaning that they add up to 90 degrees. In other words, phi = 90 degrees - theta.

4. When are spherical coordinates used?

Spherical coordinates are often used in physics, engineering, and mathematics to describe the position of points in three-dimensional space. They are particularly useful in problems involving spheres, cylinders, or other curved surfaces.

5. How do you convert from spherical coordinates to Cartesian coordinates?

To convert from spherical coordinates to Cartesian coordinates, you can use the following formulas:

x = r * sin(θ) * cos(φ)

y = r * sin(θ) * sin(φ)

z = r * cos(θ)

where r is the distance from the origin to the point, θ is the angle from the positive x-axis to the point's projection on the yz-plane, and φ is the angle from the positive z-axis to the point's projection on the xy-plane.