Sphere melting/freezing timescale-scaling (simplest approach)?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of calculating approximate melting timescales for spheres in a hotter liquid using a simple scaling approach. The assumptions made include a uniform temperature within the sphere, a large bath temperature, and temperature-independent material properties. The resulting equation for calculating the melting timescale is given as \tau=\frac{\rho r L}{h(T_b-T_m)}. Different assumptions may lead to a different equation.
bzz77
Sphere melting/freezing timescale--scaling (simplest approach)?

Hello everyone:

I am new to melting/freezing-type behaviour. I would like to calculate approximate melting timescales for spheres (uniform composition) thrown into a hotter liquid. The spheres would initially be at a lower temperature than their melting point, so they'd have to heat up before melting. I'd like to stick with conduction.

I would like to know if there's a simple scaling-type method (that incorporates latent heat) for getting approximate melting timescales. From my reading so far, it looks these sorts of Stefan problems are usually approached with numerical methods, and I'd like to start with simple scaling-based approximations before diving into the numerical methods!

If anyone could describe how I'd go about doing a reasonable, but simplified timescale calculation for a melting sphere, I'd be very grateful! I don't know where to start.

Engineering news on Phys.org

It's all about the assumptions.

For example, I'll assume that each immersed sphere has a uniform temperature [itex]T(t)[/itex] the entire time. In other words, conduction within the sphere is fast compared to convection between the sphere and the liquid. In other other words, the sphere is not too big, the thermal conductivity of the sphere material is not too small, and the convection coefficient is not too large. Calculate the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biot_number" to get a handle on whether this assumption makes sense.

I'll assume that the bath is large, so that the bath temperature [itex]T_b[/itex] is constant.

I'll assume that all material properties are temperature-independent.

Convection from the liquid will deliver a thermal power of [itex]hA[T_b-T(t)]=h(4\pi r^2)[T_b-T(t)][/itex] to the sphere, where [itex]h[/itex] is the convection coefficient and [itex]r[/itex] is the radius. The energy that needs to be supplied to melt the sphere is [itex]\rho V[c(T_m-T_0)+L]=\rho(4\pi r^3/3)[c(T_m-T_0)+L][/itex], where [itex]\rho[/itex] is the density, [itex]c[/itex] is the specific heat capacity, [itex]T_0[/itex] and [itex]T_0[/itex] are the initial and melting temperatures, and [itex]L[/itex] is the latent heat of melting.

Now I'll assume that the bath temperature is large compared to the melting temperature [itex]T_m[/itex] and that the melting temperature isn't much larger than the starting sphere temperature [itex]T_0[/itex], so that [itex]T_b-T(t)\approx T_b-T_m[/itex] and [itex]c(T_m-T_0)+L\approx L[/itex].

Then the time required to absorb this energy and melt the sphere entirely is

[tex]\tau=\frac{\rho r L}{h(T_b-T_m)}[/tex]

This is just one example of a scaling analysis in heat transfer. Your assumptions may be different.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Sphere melting/freezing timescale-scaling (simplest approach)?

What is the simplest approach for calculating sphere melting/freezing timescale-scaling?

The simplest approach for calculating sphere melting/freezing timescale-scaling is to use the heat diffusion equation, also known as the Fourier equation, which relates the temperature change over time to the thermal conductivity and heat capacity of the material.

How does the size of the sphere affect the melting/freezing timescale-scaling?

The size of the sphere has a significant impact on the melting/freezing timescale-scaling. As the size increases, the surface area to volume ratio decreases, resulting in a longer timescale for heat transfer. This means that larger spheres will take longer to melt or freeze compared to smaller spheres.

What factors other than size can affect the melting/freezing timescale-scaling of a sphere?

Apart from size, the thermal conductivity and heat capacity of the material, as well as the initial temperature difference between the sphere and its surroundings, can also affect the melting/freezing timescale-scaling. Higher thermal conductivity and heat capacity will result in faster heat transfer, while a larger initial temperature difference will lead to a faster melting or freezing process.

How can the melting/freezing timescale-scaling of a sphere be experimentally determined?

The melting/freezing timescale-scaling of a sphere can be experimentally determined by measuring the temperature change of the sphere over time and comparing it to the theoretical predictions from the heat diffusion equation. This can be done using temperature sensors and data loggers to collect temperature data at regular intervals during the melting or freezing process.

Are there any limitations to the simplest approach for calculating sphere melting/freezing timescale-scaling?

Yes, there are some limitations to the simplest approach for calculating sphere melting/freezing timescale-scaling. This approach assumes that the sphere is a perfect sphere with uniform thermal properties, and that the melting or freezing process occurs in a homogeneous environment. In reality, these assumptions may not hold true, and more complex mathematical models may be needed to accurately predict the melting/freezing timescale-scaling of a sphere under different conditions.