Speed of the particle at a height h

In summary, the speed of a particle at a height h can be found by first determining the initial kinetic energy at height zero, and then using the fact that the change in kinetic energy is equal to the change in potential energy. This results in the formula √v2 - 2gh for the speed of the particle. Alternatively, the formula can be derived using the change in energy and the Pythagorean theorem.
moenste

Homework Statement

A particle is projected with speed v at an angle α to the horizontal. Find the speed of the particle when it is at a height h.

Answer: √v2 - 2gh

2. The attempt at a solution
a. Since PE gained is KE lost we need to find KE and PE.
KE = 0.5 * m * (v sin α)2 (the vertical component of velocity)
PE = mgh

0.5m * (v sin α)2 = mgh
v = √ 2gh / (sin α)2

or

b. v2 = u2 + 2as
Upward direction is positive. So we have:
u = v sin α
a = -g
s = h
v = √(v sin α)2 -2gh

But both of them do not fit the answer.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A particle's speed is tied to its total KE. You don't have to know how this energy is apportioned to horizontal and vertical components, simply the total energy. However, you do know how the KE changes with a change in height, h. Can you write an expression for the initial KE at height zero? How about for the total KE at some height h?

Likes moenste
gneill said:
A particle's speed is tied to its total KE. You don't have to know how this energy is apportioned to horizontal and vertical components, simply the total energy. However, you do know how the KE changes with a change in height, h. Can you write an expression for the initial KE at height zero? How about for the total KE at some height h?
KE at zero height = 0.5 mv2
KE at some height is zero and equals to PE = mght?

moenste said:
KE at zero height = 0.5 mv2
KE at some height is zero and equals to PE = mght?

Yes, the initial KE is specified by its initial velocity: ##KE_o = \frac{1}{2}m v_o^2## .

But the change in KE depends upon the change in height. Can you write an expression for KE(h)? Assume that KE=KEo when h=0.

Likes moenste
Update: I worked on the b. part and this is what I got:

Consider the vertical motion: v2 = u2 + 2as
v2 = (v sin α)2 - 2gh

Consider horizontal motion: v = v cos α

Since we need to find the speed, by Pythagoras: speed2 = vvertical2 + vhorizontal2
So speed = √(v sin α)2 - 2gh + (v cos α)2 = √v2(sin2 α + cos2 α) - 2gh = √v2 - 2gh

Does this look correct?

gneill said:
Yes, the initial KE is specified by its initial velocity: ##KE_o = \frac{1}{2}m v_o^2## .

But the change in KE depends upon the change in height. Can you write an expression for KE(h)? Assume that KE=KEo when h=0.
Hm, if we assume that a particle does not reach its maximum height (at max height the velocity is zero) and we use the fact that KE lost = PE gained, I would write the formula like this: KE0-KE = PE. So KE0 = when the particle is on the ground less the KE when the particle is somewhere flying equals to PE. So 9 - 3 = 6. 9 was the initial KE0, 3 is the KE at some height and 6 is the KE lost or PE gained. That could be written like 0.5 mvinitial2 - 0.5mvnew2 = mghat this moment. Am I following you correctly?

Update: I think I got it what are you suggesting :).

I need vnew. So, I put - 0.5mvnew2 = mghat this moment - 0.5 mvinitial2
We simplify it:
0.5vnew2 = 0.5vinitial2 - gh
vnew = √vinitial2 - 2gh

Which is the correct answer.

moenste said:
Hm, if we assume that a particle does not reach its maximum height (at max height the velocity is zero) and we use the fact that KE lost = PE gained, I would write the formula like this: KE0-KE = PE. So KE0 = when the particle is on the ground less the KE when the particle is somewhere flying equals to PE. So 9 - 3 = 6. 9 was the initial KE0, 3 is the KE at some height and 6 is the KE lost or PE gained. That could be written like 0.5 mvinitial2 - 0.5mvnew2 = mghat this moment. Am I following you correctly?

That's the idea. The KE at any height h (where h is bounded by the trajectory of the particle) is given by ##KE_h = KE_o + \Delta KE##.

You know what the initial KE is: ##KE_o = \frac{1}{2}m v^2##; and you know how ##\Delta KE## is tied to ##\Delta PE##. Combine the pieces and write it out. Then the speed follows from the "translation" of KE to speed in the usual manner.

Likes moenste
moenste said:
Update: I worked on the b. part and this is what I got:

Consider the vertical motion: v2 = u2 + 2as
v2 = (v sin α)2 - 2gh

Consider horizontal motion: v = v cos α

Since we need to find the speed, by Pythagoras: speed2 = vvertical2 + vhorizontal2
So speed = √(v sin α)2 - 2gh + (v cos α)2 = √v2(sin2 α + cos2 α) - 2gh = √v2 - 2gh

Does this look correct?
That works, but it's certainly going about it the hard way. You don't have to separate the velocity components when you are dealing with the change in energy.

Likes moenste
gneill said:
That works, but it's certainly going about it the hard way. You don't have to separate the velocity components when you are dealing with the change in energy.
Though it's better for the understanding. As soon as I wrote it out I understood right away the logic behind it. Thank you.

moenste said:
Though it's better for the understanding. As soon as I wrote it out I understood right away the logic behind it. Thank you.
That's fine, so long as you can appreciate the expediency of being able to ignore the velocity components entirely and dealing directly with the energy. It's certainly much speedier in an exam, for example.

Likes moenste

Related to Speed of the particle at a height h

1. What is the definition of speed of a particle at a height h?

The speed of a particle at a height h is the rate at which the particle is moving at that specific height. It is a measure of the distance traveled per unit of time.

2. How is the speed of a particle at a height h calculated?

The speed of a particle at a height h can be calculated using the formula v = √(2gh), where v is the speed, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height.

3. Does the speed of a particle at a height h change with time?

Yes, the speed of a particle at a height h can change with time. This is because the acceleration due to gravity can change, and the particle's height can also change, which affects the speed.

4. What factors affect the speed of a particle at a height h?

The speed of a particle at a height h can be affected by various factors such as the acceleration due to gravity, air resistance, and the initial velocity of the particle.

5. Can the speed of a particle at a height h be negative?

Yes, the speed of a particle at a height h can be negative. A negative speed indicates that the particle is moving in the opposite direction of its initial velocity, which can happen when the particle is thrown upwards and starts to fall back down.