Speed of Light Colors: Experiments & Info

• Thread starter Moe_the_Genius
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary, based on the dispersion relation, it is not clear whether the speed of light is different for different colors of light. However, it is well verified that the speed of light is independent of frequency.
Moe_the_Genius
Hi,
Are the speeds of all different colors of light exactly the same? And has this been done experimentally? Have they actually let colors into a system where it calculated its speed. (I know that Albert Michelson measured the speed of pure light_I just don't know if he or anyone else has done the same thing experimentally with light colors) Is there a site where I can find info on this?
Thanks a lot,
Mohammad

Science news on Phys.org
Yes the speed of light is indepentent of frequency (color). Yes it is well verified. Ever hear of a Laser?

Don't some VSL theories state that there are tiny differences between say red and purple light? So tiny that we can't measure them (yet?).

-Glenn

Integral said:
Ever hear of a Laser?
What about it? I believe that the speed of light and laser vary by a tiny amount (and I believe that is significant in studying Physics). Is that right? I need expert confirmation on this.

Moe_the_Genius said:
I believe that the speed of light and laser vary by a tiny amount (and I believe that is significant in studying Physics). Is that right?
No, it's not. The light produced in a laser travels at the same speed (in vacuum) as any other light.

Last edited:
Moe_the_Genius said:
What about it? I believe that the speed of light and laser vary by a tiny amount (and I believe that is significant in studying Physics). Is that right?
That's contradictory - if its a tiny amount, its not significant.
I need expert confirmation on this.
You got it!

Moe_the_Genius said:
What about it? I believe that the speed of light and laser vary by a tiny amount (and I believe that is significant in studying Physics). Is that right? I need expert confirmation on this.

Look at it this way,like a person who's got good logics,but doesn't know physics at all:
"If laser woudn't travel at the speed of light,why did they call it "LASER" (apud L.A.S.E.R.) ?"

Daniel.

Glenn said:
Don't some VSL theories ...

based on such a premise, i would be skeptical.

r b-j

Moe_the_Genius said:

There is no difference if propagation takes place in a vacuum, where the refractive index is 1 for all wavelength.

If it travels in another medium, the refractive index is generally not 1, and varies with wavelength. This variation is called the dispersion relation. Air can be considered as such a medium, but it is sufficiently close to vacuum in most cases (1.00...something...).

The atmosphere is composed of various air compositions depending on location and time, so its exact dispersion relation is not trivial.

Related to Speed of Light Colors: Experiments & Info

1. What is the speed of light?

The speed of light is a physical constant that refers to the speed at which light travels in a vacuum. It is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second, or about 670,616,629 miles per hour.

2. How is the speed of light measured?

The speed of light is typically measured using a variety of experimental methods, including the use of lasers, mirrors, and precise timing devices. One common method is the use of the Michelson-Morley experiment, which involves splitting a beam of light and measuring the time it takes to travel along two different paths.

3. What is the relationship between speed of light and color?

The speed of light is the same for all colors of light. However, different colors of light have different wavelengths and frequencies, which affect how they travel and interact with matter. This is why we see different colors in the visible light spectrum.

4. Can the speed of light be exceeded?

According to the theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which anything can travel in the universe. It is considered a fundamental physical limit and cannot be exceeded by any known object or force.

5. How does the speed of light influence our understanding of the universe?

The speed of light plays a crucial role in many theories and principles in physics, including the theory of relativity and the concept of causality. It also helps us understand the vast distances and time scales in the universe, as it is the fastest speed at which information can travel. Without the speed of light, our understanding of the universe would be vastly different.