Speed of an Electron and the Magnetic field

In summary, the problem involves an electron with kinetic energy of 1.60 keV circling in a plane perpendicular to a uniform magnetic field. The orbit radius is 24.0 cm. The equation used to solve for the speed of the electron is v=sqrt(1/2mk), which resulted in a velocity of e22 4.627 km/s. However, this equation was incorrect and the correct equation is (mV^2)/2. After correcting the equation, the speed of the electron can be calculated.
mlsohani

Homework Statement

An electron with kinetic energy 1.60 keV circles in a plane perpendicular to a uniform magnetic field. The orbit radius is 24.0 cm.
a Find the speed of the electron.
b Find the Magnetic Field

Homework Equations

k=1/(2mv^2)
B=mvqr

The Attempt at a Solution

I first converted keV to Joules which came out to be 2.5635 e-16 J

I then made the equation to solve for v : v=sqrt(1/2mk)

But I came out with the velocity being e22 4.627 km/s which is not right

PLease help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi mlshani,

mlsohani said:

Homework Statement

An electron with kinetic energy 1.60 keV circles in a plane perpendicular to a uniform magnetic field. The orbit radius is 24.0 cm.
a Find the speed of the electron.
b Find the Magnetic Field

Homework Equations

k=1/(2mv^2)

This equation does not look right to me; do you see what it needs to be?

No I thought that was the equation, at least that is the one on my physics book?
Is there another equation to find the speed of an electron?

(mV^2)/2

Thank you!

I can't believe I saw that equation as having everything in the denominator!

Thank you!

Related to Speed of an Electron and the Magnetic field

1. What is the speed of an electron?

The speed of an electron can vary depending on its energy level and the environment it is in. However, in a vacuum, it travels at a constant speed of approximately 2.2 million meters per second.

2. Can the speed of an electron be changed?

Yes, the speed of an electron can be changed by altering its energy level. This can be achieved through various methods such as applying an electric field or heating the electron. Additionally, the speed of an electron can also be affected by external factors such as collisions with other particles.

3. How does the magnetic field affect the speed of an electron?

The magnetic field can affect the speed of an electron by exerting a force on it. This force, known as the Lorentz force, causes the electron to move in a circular path, thereby changing its velocity. The strength of the magnetic field also plays a role in determining the speed of the electron.

4. What is the relationship between the speed of an electron and the strength of the magnetic field?

The speed of an electron is directly proportional to the strength of the magnetic field. This means that as the magnetic field increases, the speed of the electron also increases. Conversely, if the magnetic field decreases, the speed of the electron decreases as well.

5. Can the speed of an electron be measured directly?

No, the speed of an electron cannot be measured directly as it is too small and too fast to be detected by traditional methods. Instead, scientists rely on indirect methods such as measuring the electron's energy and using mathematical equations to calculate its speed.