Speed of a rocket using energy methods

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the speed and velocity components of a rocket launched at an angle with the horizontal and at a certain altitude, using energy methods. The correct answers for the speed and velocity components are (a) v = (v0^2 + gh)^1/2 and (b) vx= .799vo, vy= - (- 0.362vo^2 +gh)^1/2. The key to solving this problem is recognizing that the rocket has the same amount of energy at the point where the fuel is exhausted and when it has descended to half of its initial altitude.
BrainMan

Homework Statement

A rocket is launched such that when the fuel is exhausted, the rocket is moving with a speed of Vo at an angle of 37° with the horizontal and at an altitude h. (a) Use energy methods to find the speed of the rocket when its altitude is h/2. (b) Find the x and y components of velocity when the rockets altitude is h/2. Use the fact that Vx=Vxo = constant (since ax-0) and the result from a.

Homework Equations

The Kinetic and Potential energy equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I did
1/2mv2+mgy= E
and then I solved for v and got
v= (2Egy)1/2
the correct answer is (a) v = (v02 + gh)1/2
(b) vx= .799vo, vy= - (- 0.362vo2 +gh)1/2
I wasn't really sure how to approach this type of problem

Physics news on Phys.org
BrainMan said:

Homework Statement

A rocket is launched such that when the fuel is exhausted, the rocket is moving with a speed of Vo at an angle of 37° with the horizontal and at an altitude h. (a) Use energy methods to find the speed of the rocket when its altitude is h/2. (b) Find the x and y components of velocity when the rockets altitude is h/2. Use the fact that Vx=Vxo = constant (since ax-0) and the result from a.

Homework Equations

The Kinetic and Potential energy equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I did
1/2mv2+mgy= E
and then I solved for v and got
v= (2Egy)1/2
How did you manage to get that? It looks like you didn't do the algebra correctly.

the correct answer is (a) v = (v02 + gh)1/2
(b) vx= .799vo, vy= - (- 0.362vo2 +gh)1/2
I wasn't really sure how to approach this type of problem

Likes 1 person
in a you solved for v wrong. You're attempting to do what they did, you just made a mistake that I think you can find.
When they say the speed at h/2, do they mean on the way up or down?

Likes 1 person
I'm not sure and what could I do with that information?

BrainMan said:
1/2mv2+mgy= E
You have two instances where you can apply that equation: at the point where the fuel is exhausted, and again when it has descended to height h/2. Which term is the same at both points? What equation does that give you?

Is it that they both have the same amount of energy? So would you get something like 1/2mv2+mgy=1/2mv2+mgy?

BrainMan said:
Is it that they both have the same amount of energy? So would you get something like 1/2mv2+mgy=1/2mv2+mgy?
Yes, plugging in the appropriate values for v and y each side.

OK I get it but I am having trouble finding the y component. I did sin 37 to find the y component but it looks like in the answer they gave they have that number squared - (0.362vo2 +gh)1/2. Why is sin theta squared in this equation?

BrainMan said:
OK I get it but I am having trouble finding the y component. I did sin 37 to find the y component but it looks like in the answer they gave they have that number squared - (0.362vo2 +gh)1/2. Why is sin theta squared in this equation?

What is ##\ (v_0)_y\ ?\ ## Isn't sin(θ0) a factor of this?

Likes 1 person
The initial speed in the y direction is Vo* sin(37). So shouldn't the equation be .601Vo instead of .362vo?

BrainMan said:
The initial speed in the y direction is Vo* sin(37). So shouldn't the equation be .601Vo instead of .362vo?

If a speed is 0.601v, what is the square of that speed?

Likes 1 person
OK I see how they got that answer. Thanks everyone!

Related to Speed of a rocket using energy methods

1. What are the main types of energy used to propel a rocket?

The main types of energy used to propel a rocket are chemical energy, nuclear energy, and electric energy.

2. How is the speed of a rocket calculated using energy methods?

The speed of a rocket can be calculated using the formula v = √(2E/m), where v is the speed, E is the energy, and m is the mass of the rocket.

3. Can the speed of a rocket be increased by adding more fuel?

Yes, adding more fuel can increase the speed of a rocket as it increases the amount of energy available to propel the rocket.

4. What factors affect the speed of a rocket using energy methods?

The speed of a rocket using energy methods is affected by factors such as the type of energy used, the amount of energy available, the mass of the rocket, and external forces like air resistance.

5. How does the speed of a rocket affect its trajectory?

The speed of a rocket affects its trajectory by determining the amount of force applied and the direction of motion. A higher speed will result in a more curved trajectory, while a lower speed will result in a more linear trajectory.