Spectral lines from electron energy transitions in this atom

In summary, the conversation discusses drawing a diagram with spectral lines and labeling them using specific letters and determining the energy levels of each line. The diagram will have four lines, with one already labeled as "a." The other lines will correspond to existing tic marks and will be labeled as "b," "c," and "d." The frequency and energy of each line is based on the transition between energy levels, with a higher energy level resulting in a higher frequency and shorter wavelength. The energy difference between lines "c" and "d" is the same as the energy difference between lines "a" and "c," and the frequency difference between lines "c" and "d" is the same as the frequency difference between lines "a"
Jeff97
Homework Statement
1. On the above diagram draw the other spectral lines in their correct relative positions. Label all
the lines using the letters that are given.
2. Use the letter ‘R’ to label the line at the red end of the spectrum. Give a reason for you answer.
Relevant Equations
See the diagram below.
Screenshot 2020-03-29 at 9.40.24 AM.png

Do they mean something like this?
1585523479810.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Jeff97 said:
Yes, the diagram will look a bit like this, but with a much smaller number of lines.

How is the frequency of a transition related to the energy levels? You can draw the diagram based on that.

Jeff97 said:
Homework Statement:: 1. On the above diagram draw the other spectral lines in their correct relative positions. Label all
the lines using the letters that are given.
2. Use the letter ‘R’ to label the line at the red end of the spectrum. Give a reason for you answer.
Relevant Equations:: See the diagram below.

View attachment 259606
View attachment 259607
'Something like that but with far fewer lines.

From the way I understand the problem,
o There are only 4 lines total that you need to draw.
o One of the lines is already drawn for you (although it's not labeled yet).
o Each line that you need to draw will correspond with one of the existing tic marks (not all tic marks will have a line).
o You need to properly label each line (a, b, c, or d). In addition, label one of the lines as "R" indicating the "red" end of the spectrum (and give a reason).

Likes SammyS
mfb said:
Yes, the diagram will look a bit like this, but with a much smaller number of lines.

How is the frequency of a transition related to the energy levels? You can draw the diagram based on that.
The greater the energy, the larger the frequency and the shorter (smaller) the wavelength. The higher the frequency, the shorter the wavelength.

Now, @collinsmark I was thinking The first line already plotted is most likely a Paschen series line going from n=4 to n=3 meaning it is line a? If I was to follow on doing this line b would be a Balmer series, line c would be Lyman series so would line d ? From this, I gather R is a. Why because Longer wavelengths will have lower frequencies, and shorter wavelengths will have higher frequencies red is a big wavelength i.e a low frequency. Would the plotting would look something like this ?:

a is already plotted, b at 3rd tic, c at 6th tic, d at 8 or 9?

Jeff97 said:
... Would the plotting would look something like this ?:

I agree with all but d.

How does the energy (difference) of d compare to the energy (difference) of a and the energy (difference) of c .

SammyS said:
I agree with all but d.

How does the energy (difference) of d compare to the energy (difference) of a and the energy (difference) of c .
d is n=4 to n=1 so it's Lyman are you saying it's tic 7?

Don't worry about Paschen series, Balmer series, or Lyman series. What you are being asked to show is hypothetical and doesn't belong to any series in particular.

Jeff97 said:

Looking at the state transition diagram, what is the energy difference between [itex]\mathrm{c} [/itex] and [itex] \mathrm{d} [/itex] (in terms of energy)? More specifically, ask yourself what is that energy difference of that, specifically in terms of the energy of [itex] \mathrm{a} [/itex]?

Now ask yourself, what is the difference in frequency difference between [itex] \mathrm{c} [/itex] and [itex] \mathrm{d} [/itex] in terms of the frequency of [itex] \mathrm{a} [/itex]?

I think you need to look at two things:
What is the "relevant equation" ?
What is the ratio of the energies of a) the levels, then from that, b) the transitions ?

Edit: Bold ratio

Last edited:
SammyS said:
I agree with all but d.

Let me clarify.
In post #5, when I said I agreed with all but d, I was was only referring to the portion of your post that was quoted. In other words, I was only referring to your proposed placement of the spectral lines on the graph.

I was not referring to your labeling of series as Balmer, Lyman, etc. As @collinsmark said, forget those labels. They have no place here.

Likes Jeff97
Line a frequency is based on n=4 to n=3, frequency= 1.599x10^14 Hz energy= 1.1x10^-19J
Line b based on n=4 to n=2 frequency =6.168x10^14Hz energy=4.1x10^-19J
Line c based on n=3 to n=1 frequency= 2.924x10^15Hz energy =1.9x10^-18J
Line d based on n=4 to n=1 frequency= 3.084x10^15Hz energy = 2x10^-18J

So based on this I gather a is already plotted and can be labelled R, b can be plotted on the third tic, c can be plotted at the 6th and d is almost directly on by it

Jeff97 said:
Line a frequency is based on n=4 to n=3, frequency= 1.599x10^14 Hz energy= 1.1x10^-19J
Line b based on n=4 to n=2 frequency =6.168x10^14Hz energy=4.1x10^-19J
Line c based on n=3 to n=1 frequency= 2.924x10^15Hz energy =1.9x10^-18J
Line d based on n=4 to n=1 frequency= 3.084x10^15Hz energy = 2x10^-18J

So based on this I gather a is already plotted and can be labelled R, b can be plotted on the third tic, c can be plotted at the 6th and d is almost directly on by it
Where did you get these values for the frequencies?

This is just a hypothetical problem.

You are given a diagram with four energy levels, and four possible transitions. The (vertical) spacing of the energy levels is to scale. It looks like you have labeled them from 1 to 4, starting at the bottom. That's good. It makes the discussion easier.

The distance from level 3 to 4 is the least. The distance from level 2 to 3 looks to be twice the distance from 3 to 4. Then finally, the distance from level 1 to 2 looks to be twice the distance from 2 to 3.

So, if you say that energy difference from level 3 to level 4 is 1.1 × 10 −19 J, then it's twice that from 2 to 3 and 4 times that from 1 to 2.

Last edited:
Likes collinsmark
So in conclusion, a is already plotted, b at 3rd tic, c at 6th tic, d at 7th tic. And I'm labelling a R as Longer wavelengths will have lower frequencies, and shorter wavelengths will have higher frequencies, red is a big wavelength i.e a low frequency.

https://www.physicsforums.com/conversations/my-question.196887/reply?quote=288074 https://www.physicsforums.com/conversations/my-question.196887/reply?quote=288074
https://www.physicsforums.com/conversations/messages/288074/report

Likes SammyS
Jeff97 said:
So in conclusion, a is already plotted, b at 3rd tic, c at 6th tic, d at 7th tic. And I'm labeling a R as Longer wavelengths will have lower frequencies, and shorter wavelengths will have higher frequencies, red is a big wavelength i.e a low frequency.

https://www.physicsforums.com/conversations/my-question.196887/reply?quote=288074 https://www.physicsforums.com/conversations/my-question.196887/reply?quote=288074
https://www.physicsforums.com/conversations/messages/288074/report
Yes. That's all correct !

Likes Jeff97

Related to Spectral lines from electron energy transitions in this atom

1. What are spectral lines?

Spectral lines are specific wavelengths of light that are emitted or absorbed by an atom or molecule. They are a result of the energy transitions of electrons within the atom or molecule.

2. How are spectral lines produced?

Spectral lines are produced when electrons in an atom or molecule absorb or emit energy, causing them to jump to a higher or lower energy level. This energy is released in the form of light at specific wavelengths, creating the spectral lines.

3. Why are spectral lines important in scientific research?

Spectral lines are important because they can provide valuable information about the composition and structure of atoms and molecules. By analyzing the wavelengths and intensities of spectral lines, scientists can identify elements and study their energy levels and interactions.

4. How are spectral lines used in astronomy?

Spectral lines are used in astronomy to study the composition and properties of celestial objects. By analyzing the light emitted or absorbed by stars and galaxies, scientists can determine their chemical makeup, temperature, and other important characteristics.

5. Can spectral lines be used to identify unknown substances?

Yes, spectral lines can be used to identify unknown substances. Each element has a unique set of spectral lines, so by comparing the spectral lines of an unknown substance to known elements, scientists can identify its composition.