Specific volume and superheated gas

In summary, the professor was saying that the higher specific volume of R-134a means that it is superheated.
LT72884
I was assigned an example problem today and i can do the math, look at my tables and get the right answer no problem. What i want to understand, is why when specific volume increases for r134a, that it means its supper heated?

My given value for sv was .1384m3/kg which is above the .09 in the table. I get that if its above, then it means superheated. Looking at the saturation dome, i see why, but scientifically, i dont. I asked a couple of professors and i didnt understand their answer. They were trying to inform me about how the gas takes up more space... i get that, but how does taking up more space mean superheated?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
Are you saying that the saturation specific volume is 0.09, but at the same pressure and a higher temperature, the specific volume is 0.1384?

Likes russ_watters
Here is the problem statement:
R-134a at 400psia has a specific volume of
0.1384ft3/lbm. Determine the temp of the refridgerant based on the gerealized compresabilty chart, ideal gas law, and the steam tables.

The professor was doing this problem step by step:

Ok, so i answered all 3 parts correctly, but on part (c) using the tables, i go to table A-12E, find 400psi and it says that at pressure, the satliq is 0.017 and satvap is 0.096. The value given to me is 0.1384 which is above the 0.09. My professor said since its above that satvap number, it means its a superheated gas. So use those tables to find temp, which yields 240F or 700R

What I am confused about is how does a larger specific volume, such as the 0.01384, mean that its a superheated gas?

Thanks

LT72884 said:
Here is the problem statement:
R-134a at 400psia has a specific volume of
0.1384ft3/lbm. Determine the temp of the refridgerant based on the gerealized compresabilty chart, ideal gas law, and the steam tables.

The professor was doing this problem step by step:

Ok, so i answered all 3 parts correctly, but on part (c) using the tables, i go to table A-12E, find 400psi and it says that at pressure, the satliq is 0.017 and satvap is 0.096. The value given to me is 0.1384 which is above the 0.09. My professor said since its above that satvap number, it means its a superheated gas. So use those tables to find temp, which yields 240F or 700R

What I am confused about is how does a larger specific volume, such as the 0.01384, mean that its a superheated gas?

Thanks
At the same pressure, it has a higher specific volume than the saturated vapor. From the ideal gas law, the specific volume is given by $$v=\frac{RT}{PM}$$where M is the molecular weight. So, according to this, at a given pressure, the specific volume is proportional to the absolute temperature. That means that, in your case, the temperature must be above the saturation temperature. This is the definition of superheated.

Likes russ_watters and LT72884
Hmm, ill have to do some more thinking to understand it better haha. Its all new to me

Thanks much:)

Related to Specific volume and superheated gas

1. What is specific volume and how is it calculated?

Specific volume is a measure of the volume occupied by a unit mass of a substance. It is calculated by dividing the volume of a substance by its mass.

2. How does specific volume differ from density?

Specific volume and density are inversely related. While specific volume is the volume per unit mass, density is the mass per unit volume. In other words, specific volume tells us how much space a certain amount of substance takes up, while density tells us how much mass is contained in a certain volume.

3. What is a superheated gas?

A superheated gas is a gas that has been heated above its boiling point at a constant pressure. This causes the gas to exist in a gaseous state at a temperature higher than its normal boiling point.

4. How does the specific volume of a superheated gas differ from that of a gas at its boiling point?

The specific volume of a superheated gas is higher than that of a gas at its boiling point. This is because the gas molecules in a superheated gas have more energy and are moving faster, resulting in a greater volume for a given mass.

5. Can specific volume be used to determine the state of a gas?

Yes, specific volume can be used along with other properties such as temperature and pressure to determine the state of a gas. This can be useful in understanding the behavior and properties of different gases under different conditions.