Specialization vs Generalization

• Job Skills
  • Thread starter ChrisVer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Specialization
In summary: One should always be learning something new.In summary, the conversation discusses the advantages and disadvantages of specializing in experimental physics and whether it is necessary to continue in the same topic for a postdoc. Some argue that specialization is important for long-term career goals, while others believe branching out can lead to new perspectives and innovation. Ultimately, it is important to make the most of opportunities and continue learning, whether in the same field or a new one.
ChrisVer
Gold Member
I was wondering...
How "desirable" is specialization in experimental physics?
The thing is that you can always find pros and cons to all kind of personas, and let me explain:
For example you have a person who did a research on some particular topic during his/her phd. During that research they "mastered" most of the topics around their research (that is what I call specialization). They finish with the PhD and want to continue for a postdoc... This is what's confusing me:
1. should the postdoc be on the same topic as the phd? That would be awesome because they already know all there is on the field and so they can lead a group/supervise master students or phds... But also they have "nothing" to gain out of it in the sense of researching (ok there are some "exclusions" to that), since they are already "masters of the topic".
2. should it be on some other topic (eg go from CMS to T2K)? They get the opportunity to deal with something out of what they knew so far, to come across new experimental challenges and so on, which obviously builds up their "physicist" title... but it takes things off the specialization...

What is your opinion?

Physics news on Phys.org
My personal opinion is that specialization is always better than generalization. At least in terms of long term goals and gains, within university careers as well as within commercial careers. At least this is my experience with both.
There is a saying here (and as far as I can see in your avatar, also here):
Those, who know everything, know nothing in the end.

A mentor of mine once said: There is no better method to learn something new than to hold a lecture on it. (Sometimes he's been just two weeks ahead of his students!)

So until you haven't achieved such a position, you should maximize your knowledge in one field rather than looking at everything here and there. This comes automatically by the discussions and debates you will take part in. To become the one to be asked in a certain field is much harder to achieve (and thus more valuable)!

Last edited:
Once you finish the PhD, the issue is more one of making the most of the opportunities that you have. As you've pointed out there are advantages and disadvantages to sticking with one little niche area, as there are with branching out.

It's important to point out that once you've completed the PhD, it's not like you know everything there is to know about that topic, or that field. You're at the point where you're capable of doing independent research in the field. There can still be a lot to learn. And even if you do know everything, that puts you in a better position to push the envelop and do better research. Changing fields means climbing another learning curve. It may not be quite so steep, since at least some of the skills you've picked up should be transferable.

When transferring fields, the broader the jump, the less likelihood there is of you landing the post-doc position, generally speaking. But one advantage is that you may bring a new perspective into the field, and that can lead to innovation that other people who are more well-versed can't see.

ChrisVer said:
I was wondering...
How "desirable" is specialization in experimental physics?

By the time you have earned a PhD, you have almost by definition specialized in something, so this question is moot.

ChrisVer said:
1. should the postdoc be on the same topic as the phd?

Usually not- for one thing, you would be competing against your PhD advisor. A post-doc is an opportunity to learn new skills and apply what you know to a new area.

ChrisVer said:
2. should it be on some other topic (eg go from CMS to T2K)?

I don't consider that much of a jump- but sure.

Related to Specialization vs Generalization

What is the difference between specialization and generalization?

Specialization refers to the act of focusing on a specific area or subject, while generalization refers to a broad knowledge or understanding of various subjects.

Which is better, specialization or generalization?

This depends on the field and the individual's goals. In some fields, such as medicine or law, specialization is necessary for success. However, in other fields, such as business or entrepreneurship, generalization can be more beneficial.

What are the advantages of specialization?

Specialization allows for in-depth knowledge and expertise in a particular subject, which can lead to better job opportunities and higher pay. It also allows for a more focused career path.

What are the advantages of generalization?

Generalization allows for a broader understanding of various subjects, which can lead to more flexibility in career options and the ability to adapt to different roles. It also allows for a more well-rounded skill set.

Is it better to specialize or generalize in the scientific field?

This depends on the specific field and research interests of the scientist. In some fields, such as genetics or neuroscience, specialization is necessary for making groundbreaking discoveries. However, in other fields, such as environmental science or public health, a more general approach may be more beneficial in addressing complex issues.