Special Relativity: Doppler Effect?

In summary, the Doppler effect in special relativity is a change in the observed frequency of a wave due to the relative motion between the source of the wave and the observer. It differs from the classical Doppler effect by taking into account time dilation and length contraction. It can be observed in everyday life and is used in scientific research, particularly in astronomy. The formula for calculating the effect is f' = f (1 ± v/c), where f is the original frequency, f' is the observed frequency, v is the relative velocity, and c is the speed of light.
mintsnapple

Homework Statement

f4i45x.png

Homework Equations

Shown below

The Attempt at a Solution

j7yur8.png

I know I probably did something wrong...but what?

Physics news on Phys.org
Solving for v went wrong. As you did not provide steps of this, I cannot tell what exactly.

Ahhhh! I subtracted by 550 by accident. However, is my procedure correct?

b6ekaf.png

How does this look?

Looks good.
Certainly the fine for the red light would have been cheaper.

Related to Special Relativity: Doppler Effect?

What is the Doppler effect in special relativity?

The Doppler effect in special relativity is a phenomenon in which there is a change in the observed frequency of a wave due to the relative motion between the source of the wave and the observer. It is a consequence of the principles of relativity and can affect both electromagnetic and sound waves.

How does the Doppler effect in special relativity differ from classical Doppler effect?

The classical Doppler effect only takes into account the relative motion of the source and the observer, while the Doppler effect in special relativity also considers the effects of time dilation and length contraction due to the high speeds involved in the motion.

Can the Doppler effect in special relativity be observed in everyday life?

Yes, the Doppler effect in special relativity is observed in everyday life in various forms. For example, the change in pitch of a siren of a moving ambulance, the redshift of light from distant galaxies due to the expansion of the universe, and the color change of stars in binary systems are all examples of the Doppler effect in special relativity.

How is the Doppler effect in special relativity used in scientific research?

The Doppler effect in special relativity is an important tool in scientific research, especially in astronomy. By studying the redshift of light from distant objects, scientists can determine the velocity and direction of their motion. This information helps in understanding the structure and evolution of the universe.

What is the formula for calculating the Doppler effect in special relativity?

The formula for calculating the Doppler effect in special relativity is given by f' = f (1 ± v/c), where f is the original frequency, f' is the observed frequency, v is the relative velocity between the source and observer, and c is the speed of light. The ± sign is used for approaching and receding objects, respectively.