Special relativity - compute relative velocity

In summary, the spaceship travels at a speed of 3c. The trip takes 2.5 years to complete as measured by clocks on the ship. The spaceship travels a distance of 6 light-years. The spaceship has a total rest mass of 32000 kg, and has a kinetic energy of 8800 J when it arrives at the star.
Cameron95

Homework Statement

A spaceship travels from Earth to the vicinity of the star that is measured
by astronomers on Earth to be six light-years away. The spaceship
and its occupants have a total rest mass of 32 000 kg. Assume that the
spaceship travels at constant velocity. The time taken as measured by
clocks on the spaceship is 2.5 years.
(i) Compute the velocity of the spaceship. [3 marks]
(ii) How long does the trip take as measured by clocks in the Earth's
inertial rest frame? [3 marks]
(iii) What distance does the spaceship travel as measured in its own
reference frame? [3 marks]
(iv) Compute the kinetic energy of the spaceship in the Earth's rest
frame. [2 marks]

Homework Equations

(Lorentz transforms)

The Attempt at a Solution

x=6 light years, t'=2.5 years

I'm stuck on the first part of the problem. I know u=x/t, but the second part of the question asks for t, so their must be a way to find u without explicitly calculating t. Alternatively, u=x'/t', but the third part asks for x'. If anyone could give me a quick pointer that would be great. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Cameron95 said:

Homework Statement

A spaceship travels from Earth to the vicinity of the star that is measured
by astronomers on Earth to be six light-years away. The spaceship
and its occupants have a total rest mass of 32 000 kg. Assume that the
spaceship travels at constant velocity. The time taken as measured by
clocks on the spaceship is 2.5 years.
(i) Compute the velocity of the spaceship. [3 marks]
(ii) How long does the trip take as measured by clocks in the Earth's
inertial rest frame? [3 marks]
(iii) What distance does the spaceship travel as measured in its own
reference frame? [3 marks]
(iv) Compute the kinetic energy of the spaceship in the Earth's rest
frame. [2 marks]

Homework Equations

(Lorentz transforms)

The Attempt at a Solution

x=6 light years, t'=2.5 years

I'm stuck on the first part of the problem. I know u=x/t, but the second part of the question asks for t, so their must be a way to find u without explicitly calculating t. Alternatively, u=x'/t', but the third part asks for x'. If anyone could give me a quick pointer that would be great. Thanks.
The easiest thing to do is to use the Lorentz Transform. There are two events to consider.

Event 1: Spaceship leaves earth
x = 0, x' = 0, t = 0, t' = 0

Event 2: Spaceship arrives at star
x = 6c, x' = 0, t = ?, t' = 2.5

Event 2 has enough information for you to determine the velocity:
x = γ(x'+vt')

Chet

Chestermiller said:
The easiest thing to do is to use the Lorentz Transform. There are two events to consider.

Event 1: Spaceship leaves earth
x = 0, x' = 0, t = 0, t' = 0

Event 2: Spaceship arrives at star
x = 6c, x' = 0, t = ?, t' = 2.5

Event 2 has enough information for you to determine the velocity:
x = γ(x'+vt')

Chet

I'm not sure why x' is 0?

The problem gives you x and t' so neither v = x/t nor v = x'/t' will do. But keep in mind that time dilation and space contraction relate t to t' and x to x' respectively so using either of them allows you to solve the problem

Cameron95 said:
I'm not sure why x' is 0?
In the spaceship frame of reference, its coordinate doesn't change.

Chet

dauto said:
The problem gives you x and t' so neither v = x/t nor v = x'/t' will do. But keep in mind that time dilation and space contraction relate t to t' and x to x' respectively so using either of them allows you to solve the problem

I tried using time dilation, but I got a very small fraction of the speed of light, so I must have done something wrong. If it's not too much trouble, could you give a quick outline of the solution? I think I've confused myself too much thinking about it.

Cameron95 said:
I tried using time dilation, but I got a very small fraction of the speed of light, so I must have done something wrong. If it's not too much trouble, could you give a quick outline of the solution? I think I've confused myself too much thinking about it.

In fact, don't worry - I think I understand now. Thank you both for your help.

Related to Special relativity - compute relative velocity

1. What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein in 1905 that describes the relationship between space and time. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, regardless of their relative velocities.

2. How is relative velocity calculated in special relativity?

In special relativity, relative velocity is calculated using the equation v = (u + v') / (1 + uv'/c^2), where v is the relative velocity between two objects, u is the velocity of one object as measured by an observer, and v' is the velocity of the other object as measured by the same observer. c represents the speed of light in a vacuum.

3. What is the significance of the speed of light in special relativity?

In special relativity, the speed of light is considered to be the maximum speed at which all objects can travel. This means that, according to the theory, nothing can move faster than the speed of light. This has important implications for our understanding of space and time.

4. Can special relativity be applied to objects with mass?

Yes, special relativity can be applied to objects with mass. In fact, the theory was developed specifically to explain the behavior of objects with mass at high speeds. Special relativity shows that as an object's velocity approaches the speed of light, its mass increases and time dilates.

5. What are some real-world applications of special relativity?

Special relativity has a wide range of applications, including GPS technology, nuclear energy, and particle accelerators. The theory helps us understand how time and space are affected by high speeds, and has led to many technological advancements in our modern world.