Special Relativity and Binary Star Systems

In summary, by analyzing the spectrum of a known binary star system, one can use the Doppler shift to determine parameters of the system. The system's spectral lines shift over time as the stars orbit around each other, allowing for the estimation of the center of mass velocity. Various equations can be used, such as the Doppler shift equation or the angular velocity equation, to solve for the velocity of the center of mass. However, if given the mass and orbital period of the stars, one can also use Kepler's third law to calculate the center of mass velocity.
BeRiemann

Homework Statement

Suppose that you decide to look at a known binary star system. The system is too far away to resolve the individual stars, so it appears to be just one point of light. By looking at the spectrum of the system, though, you should be able to use the Doppler shift to determine some parameters of the two-star system.

The first thing that one notices is that there appear to be two hydrogen spectra shifted relative to each other owing to the motion of the stars relative to each other. Furthermore, one notices that the position of these lines will shift over time as the stars orbit around each other.

Consider a binary star system that has bright lines at 656.72 and 656.86 nm. Over the course of six months the 656.72-nm line moves to longer wavelength and the 656.86-nm line moves to shorter wavelength, until finally the two have swapped (i.e., the spectrum of the star system again shows bright lines at 656.72 and 656.86 nm). Assume that the stars are of roughly equal mass and moving in a circular orbit with axis perpendicular to the line connecting the star system to the Earth as shown in the figure.
D7Q3L.png

Assuming that these spectral lines correspond to the 656.46-nm hydrogen line in the rest frame, estimate the speed V of the center of mass of the binary system.

Homework Equations

Two tried approaches: Doppler shift for light - f1=f0√(c±v)/√(c±v)
Dilation - L1 = L0

The Attempt at a Solution

I first said that one star is traveling with some v+a, where v is the center of mass velocity and a is the linear velocity due to rotation. The other star would then be traveling with v-a. Given these two unknowns and two equations (tried both with dopp. shift and both with dilation, neither worked out), I could isolate v algebraically. This was given right after our first day of relativity, so I'm still a little lost.

Physics news on Phys.org
The other approach I tried was to use the equation ω=(2π/T), where T is the period of the orbit, and the angular velocity of one star is ω+Δω and the other is ω-Δω. Again, two unknowns and two equations, but I couldn't work out the algebra to get v.I'm sure there's a simple answer I'm missing, so any help would be much appreciated!

Related to Special Relativity and Binary Star Systems

1. What is special relativity and how does it relate to binary star systems?

Special relativity is a theory proposed by Albert Einstein that explains the relationship between space and time. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion. This theory is important in understanding the motion of objects in binary star systems, as it helps us to accurately measure the positions and velocities of the stars.

2. How does special relativity affect the perception of time in binary star systems?

According to special relativity, time is not absolute, but rather relative to the observer's frame of reference. This means that time can appear to pass at different rates for observers in different reference frames. In binary star systems, where the stars are moving at high speeds, this can result in a difference in the perceived passage of time for observers on each star.

3. Can special relativity explain the orbital motion of binary star systems?

Yes, special relativity plays a crucial role in explaining the orbital motion of binary star systems. It helps us to understand how the stars' velocities and positions change as they orbit each other, and how this affects the perception of time and distance between the stars.

4. How does the mass of the stars in a binary system affect special relativity?

The mass of the stars in a binary system can affect special relativity in two ways. First, the mass of the stars can cause a distortion in space-time, known as gravitational time dilation, which affects the passage of time. Second, the mass of the stars can also determine the strength of their gravitational pull on each other, which affects their orbital motion.

5. Can special relativity be used to study other aspects of binary star systems besides their motion?

Yes, special relativity has numerous applications in the study of binary star systems, beyond just their motion. It can be used to understand the emission of radiation from the stars, the formation and evolution of binary systems, and the effects of gravity on the stars' internal structure. Additionally, special relativity is essential in the study of gravitational waves, which can be produced by binary star systems.