Spaghettification near event horizon

In summary, if you're free-falling into a black hole, you'll experience spaghettification, but if you're hovering above it, you won't.
Stephanus said:
Is this wrong?

Yes. Look at it; it's not the same as what I wrote, is it? That means it's wrong.

Stephanus said:
But I didn't change c to 1.

Neither did I in the equation you referred to here. In the post you quoted, I did the entire derivation without changing ##c## to 1, leaving it as ##c## in all the formulas. And I got ##c^4 / 4 G M \sqrt{1 - 1}##; not ##c^4 / 4 G M \sqrt{1 - c^2}##. So what you wrote is wrong. Go back and check your algebra again. Or look carefully at what I posted and see how it goes, step by step.

Stephanus said:
I imagine we divide mass of the Earth with this unit, not multiply it.

Why would you imagine that, since you just got the right answer by multiplying? You just figured out the right answer, and now you're throwing it away?

Stephanus said:
I think G/c^2 is half of Schwarzschild radius.

No, it isn't. It is a conversion factor from ordinary units to geometric units. Think of it as ##G / c^2## meters per kilogram. You have a number in kilograms, like the mass of the Earth; you want to know what it is in meters; so you multiply the number in kilograms by the conversion factor, ##G / c^2## meters per kilogram, to get the number in meters.

If you want to say that, for a given mass ##M##, the distance ##GM / c^2## is half the Schwarzschild radius of a black hole of mass ##M##, that would be correct. But the distance ##GM / c^2## can be used much more generally than just in a scenario with black holes. In GR, that distance is the mass in geometric units, the same way the distance ##ct## is the time ##t## in natural relativistic units.

Stephanus said:
If we multiply the mass of an (planetary) object with this unit, we'll get acceleration at that distance.

I have no idea where you're getting this from. It's wrong. You don't get an acceleration, you get a distance. See above.

<h2>1. What is spaghettification near the event horizon?</h2><p>Spaghettification near the event horizon is a phenomenon that occurs when an object gets too close to the event horizon of a black hole. The extreme gravitational pull of the black hole causes the object to stretch and elongate, similar to how a piece of spaghetti would stretch when pulled from both ends.</p><h2>2. How close do you have to be to the event horizon to experience spaghettification?</h2><p>The distance from the event horizon at which spaghettification occurs varies depending on the size and mass of the black hole. Generally, it is believed that spaghettification starts to occur when an object gets within a few hundred kilometers of the event horizon.</p><h2>3. Can anything survive spaghettification near the event horizon?</h2><p>It is highly unlikely that anything can survive spaghettification near the event horizon. The extreme gravitational forces would tear apart any object, including atoms, and reduce it to a stream of subatomic particles.</p><h2>4. Is spaghettification a quick process?</h2><p>No, spaghettification is not a quick process. It occurs gradually as the object gets closer to the event horizon, and the stretching and elongation become more severe. The closer the object gets, the longer the process takes.</p><h2>5. Can we observe spaghettification happening in real-time?</h2><p>Currently, we do not have the technology to observe spaghettification happening in real-time. The process occurs very quickly in comparison to the vast distances of outer space, making it difficult to capture with our current telescopes and instruments.</p>

Related to Spaghettification near event horizon

1. What is spaghettification near the event horizon?

Spaghettification near the event horizon is a phenomenon that occurs when an object gets too close to the event horizon of a black hole. The extreme gravitational pull of the black hole causes the object to stretch and elongate, similar to how a piece of spaghetti would stretch when pulled from both ends.

2. How close do you have to be to the event horizon to experience spaghettification?

The distance from the event horizon at which spaghettification occurs varies depending on the size and mass of the black hole. Generally, it is believed that spaghettification starts to occur when an object gets within a few hundred kilometers of the event horizon.

3. Can anything survive spaghettification near the event horizon?

It is highly unlikely that anything can survive spaghettification near the event horizon. The extreme gravitational forces would tear apart any object, including atoms, and reduce it to a stream of subatomic particles.

4. Is spaghettification a quick process?

No, spaghettification is not a quick process. It occurs gradually as the object gets closer to the event horizon, and the stretching and elongation become more severe. The closer the object gets, the longer the process takes.

5. Can we observe spaghettification happening in real-time?

Currently, we do not have the technology to observe spaghettification happening in real-time. The process occurs very quickly in comparison to the vast distances of outer space, making it difficult to capture with our current telescopes and instruments.