Spacebar + delete to merge paragraphs; a MS Word Help

• Thread starter mech-eng
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Delete
In summary, the operation is to press the Spacebar and then press Delete in order to merge two paragraphs together. This is not mentioned in the previous pages of the 2010 version of the book, but can be found in the Google Books link provided.
mech-eng
Hi. I try to understand this operation, "first press the backspace and then press delete." It is about a merging operation. I use 2010 version of book. Can someone explain me please that what is happening in that step.
In the previous pages there is no info about backspace+delete and merging paragraphs.

http://books.google.com.tr/books?id=i3ueAwAAQBAJ&pg=PA66&dq=%22press+the+spacebar+and+then+press+delete%22&hl=tr&sa=X&ei=hmBmVLTuM6r_ygPb54GIBw&ved=0CBoQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=%22press%20the%20spacebar%20and%20then%20press%20delete%22&f=false
Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
mech-eng said:
Hi. I try to understand this operation, "first press the backspace and then press delete." It is about a merging operation. I use 2010 version of book. Can someone explain me please that what is happening in that step.
In the previous pages there is no info about backspace+delete and merging paragraphs.

http://books.google.com.tr/books?id=i3ueAwAAQBAJ&pg=PA66&dq=%22press+the+spacebar+and+then+press+delete%22&hl=tr&sa=X&ei=hmBmVLTuM6r_ygPb54GIBw&ved=0CBoQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=%22press%20the%20spacebar%20and%20then%20press%20delete%22&f=false
Thank you.
First, it's not "backspace", it's "spacebar". The exact wording is "Press the Spacebar, and then press Delete..."

"Delete" deletes the end-of-paragraph marker "" and therefore joins the two paragraphs together.

"Spacebar" inserts a space between the last word of one paragraph and the first word of the next paragraph.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes haloboy777

Related to Spacebar + delete to merge paragraphs; a MS Word Help

1. How do I use the "Spacebar + delete" method to merge paragraphs in MS Word?

The "Spacebar + delete" method is a quick and easy way to merge two paragraphs in MS Word. Simply place your cursor at the end of the first paragraph and press the Spacebar key once, then press the Delete key. This will remove the extra space between the two paragraphs and merge them into one.

2. Can I use "Spacebar + delete" to merge multiple paragraphs at once?

No, the "Spacebar + delete" method only works to merge two paragraphs at a time. If you want to merge multiple paragraphs, you will need to use a different method, such as the "Merge Cells" option in the Table Tools tab.

3. Will using "Spacebar + delete" affect the formatting of my paragraphs?

No, using "Spacebar + delete" to merge paragraphs will not affect the formatting of your text. It simply removes the extra space between paragraphs and merges them into one.

4. Is there a shortcut key for the "Spacebar + delete" method?

Yes, the shortcut key for the "Spacebar + delete" method is Ctrl + Shift + D. This will automatically merge the two paragraphs without having to use the Spacebar and Delete keys separately.

5. What should I do if the "Spacebar + delete" method is not working for me?

If the "Spacebar + delete" method is not working, try using the "Merge and Center" option in the Home tab instead. This will also merge the paragraphs without affecting the formatting. If neither of these methods work, there may be an issue with your document or MS Word program, and you may need to seek further assistance.