Space probe transmiting a pic to Eart

• Thread starter bozo the clown
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probe Space
In summary: I want to know what the wave is for waves to have an effect.In summary, photons move through space in a wavelike manner, but they do not always travel in a straight line.
bozo the clown
Im a novice on waves what I want to know is for instance a space probe transmiting a pic to Earth does it use radio waves ? And does it have to transmit in direction of Earth or could we receive pics on another plant and what size area do these waves occupy i.e when they hit Earth does it equate to A tidal wave covering an island ( island being the Earth )

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Yes, NASA communicates with probes via radio waves. The size and shape of the transmitted beam is determined by the transmitting antenna. The space probe needs to transmit its signal into a pretty tight cone because it does not have power to waste. I am not sure of the exact dimensions of the transmitted cone when it reaches earth, but am willing to bet that it is bigger then the earth, so anybody on the side of Earth facing the probe can receive the signal if they have the correct equipment.

Another question regarding waves do photons move in a wave like manner rather than a straight course. If not what causes the wave.
tx id look this stuff up but I am pushed for time and the few sites i did go to did not give me answers.

A single photon moving through an unimpeded, uninfluenced free space will continue in its specific linear direction forever. One heck of a serious straight line!
That's the ideal.
The reality is somewhat different, though in short distances it works well.

Photons exhibit both wave and particle properties.

I like to think of a photon as a wave packet. The characteristic frequency of the photon is the frequency of the waves in the package.

A photon has to move as the crow flies right ? In order to go from A to B at c
if it moved in a wave like manner it would have to travel further thus it would go from A to B slower than c. So what is the wave ?

Related to Space probe transmiting a pic to Eart

1. How does a space probe transmit a picture to Earth?

Space probes use radio waves to transmit data and images back to Earth. They have a transmitter and antenna that sends the data to a receiver on Earth, which then decodes the signal and converts it into an image.

2. How long does it take for a space probe to transmit a picture to Earth?

The time it takes for a space probe to transmit a picture to Earth depends on the distance between the probe and Earth. For example, if the probe is in orbit around Mars, it can take anywhere from 3 to 21 minutes for the picture to reach Earth.

3. What type of images can a space probe transmit to Earth?

Space probes can transmit various types of images, including visible light images, infrared images, and ultraviolet images. They can also take images in different wavelengths to capture different features of a planet or other celestial object.

4. How does a space probe send a picture back to Earth if there is no internet in space?

Since there is no internet in space, space probes use a communication system called the Deep Space Network (DSN). This system consists of large antennas on Earth that can communicate with the probe's antenna and receive the data and images it transmits.

5. Can a space probe transmit a live video feed to Earth?

Currently, space probes are not able to transmit live video feeds to Earth due to the limitations of the DSN and the distance between the probe and Earth. However, they can transmit a series of images that can be stitched together to create a video-like sequence.