Space in plastic to fit a ball bearing?

In summary, when designing a plastic piece to fit a 10 mm ball bearing, it is important to consider the type of fit and the available tolerance for the hole. It is recommended to start with a 9mm hole and gradually increase the diameter until a snug interference fit is achieved. Alternatively, using the same diameter as the ball bearing (10 mm) is also a good option. Adding a slight tolerance can also help account for any variation in size. If all else fails, glue can be used as a last resort. Good luck with your design!
Magnethos
I'm new in design and I'm designing a plastic piece where I want to fit a ball bearing.
The outer diameter of the ball bearing is 10 mm. If I want to fit it in the plastic. What measure I've to use in the plastic hole? 11 mm?

Physics news on Phys.org
It all depends on the type of fit you are looking for, and the available tolerance for the drilling of the hole. If you are going for an interference fit, it's probably safe to assume that the plastic will be compliant enough for a less than 10mm hole (again, this all depends on the tolerance of the hole).

Also, remember that it's a lot easier to increase the diameter of a hole, than to try fixing a hole that is too wide. I'd start with a 9mm hole - test of fit - increase another 0.5mm - test for fit - and keep on with this until you have a snug interference fit.

And if all else fails, a little bit of glue is always allowable ;)

As a fellow designer, I would suggest using the same diameter as the ball bearing, so in this case, 10 mm. This will ensure a snug fit and prevent the bearing from moving around too much. You may also want to consider adding a slight tolerance to the hole to account for any variation in the size of the bearing or the plastic material. Good luck with your design!

Related to Space in plastic to fit a ball bearing?

1. What is the purpose of creating a space in plastic to fit a ball bearing?

The purpose of creating a space in plastic to fit a ball bearing is to provide a secure and stable housing for the bearing. This helps to prevent the bearing from moving or shifting, which could impact its performance and cause damage to surrounding components.

2. How is the space in plastic designed to fit a ball bearing?

The space in plastic is typically designed using computer-aided design (CAD) software, which allows for precise measurements and calculations to ensure a perfect fit for the ball bearing. The design may also take into account factors such as material properties and environmental conditions.

3. What materials are commonly used to create the space in plastic for a ball bearing?

The most commonly used materials for creating the space in plastic for a ball bearing are thermoplastics, such as nylon and polyethylene. These materials are lightweight, durable, and have good mechanical properties, making them ideal for this application.

4. How is the space in plastic for a ball bearing manufactured?

The space in plastic for a ball bearing can be manufactured using various techniques, such as injection molding or 3D printing. Injection molding involves melting the plastic material and injecting it into a mold, which is then cooled and hardened. 3D printing, on the other hand, uses a layer-by-layer approach to create the desired shape.

5. What are the benefits of using plastic to create a space for a ball bearing?

There are several benefits of using plastic to create a space for a ball bearing. Plastic is lightweight, corrosion-resistant, and can be easily molded into complex shapes. It also has a low coefficient of friction, which can reduce wear on the bearing and improve its performance. Additionally, plastic is a cost-effective option compared to other materials such as metal.